Neutrik ConvertCON XLRs-anyone used them?

Anonymous067

Hey all,

Wondering if anyone has used Neutrik's ConvertCon XLRs, I'm trying to justify them on some sub-snakes I'm building up...

The original idea was to build a bunch of gender benders, but, when you start looking at the cost of this connector (about 15 bucks), and to build two gender benders, takes 4 connectors, times 3 bucks, equals 12 bucks, and something else to keep track of. IMO, justified.

We wanted to have a 12x0 snake as a subsnake, but the ability to use returns if necessary (but didn't want to be limited by 10x2).

Ideas/suggestions? Product to stay away from?

Thanks,

Ive always liked using neutrik and have not had much trouble with them but never seen this one before an XLR that goes both ways, cool I like the idea and would also like to hear what others have experienced. I can think of a few places Id like to try this. I hate replacing lost gender benders.

I have not used the ConvertCONs yet but see potential advantages and disadvantages. In a situation where everything is approached as being tie lines or simply a cabling path then the ability to serve as a male or female termination could be very useful. However, in a situation where there are defined sends and returns or inputs and outputs you seem to lose the ability for the connector gender to help define the use.

The feedback I have seen from people that have used them is that they seem fairly durable and reliable. Some have commented on the fact that the connectors are quite long compared to a standard XLR, which may be a factor in some applications such as using them with floor boxes.

I use them for 1/4" to XLR adapters... they are quite handy for this. Using them as XLR Gender benders would be pretty pointless though.

I use them for 1/4" to XLR adapters... they are quite handy for this. Using them as XLR Gender benders would be pretty pointless though.

I don't understand...

You put them on both ends of a standard XLR cable (instead of the normal terms) and you get a reversible cable? How is that a pointless gender bender? Do tell!

I can see a good adapter to 1/4"...instead of carrying a stock of them around, just carry reversible ones! I love it!

I have a bunch of them and they work well. I use them for adapter cables, such as XLR to 1/4" TRS. Being able to switch the gender of the XLR means more flexibility while carrying fewer cables.

They are expensive, so I recommend using using them where they will do the most good. Stick with standard XLRs otherwise.

I haven't given them hard use, but no problems so far. I wouldn't put them on a snake end or anyplace where they will take a lot of abuse. They are fatter and longer than typical, but I have not encountered a place they don't fit, yet.

I don't understand...

You put them on both ends of a standard XLR cable (instead of the normal terms) and you get a reversible cable? How is that a pointless gender bender? Do tell!

I can see a good adapter to 1/4"...instead of carrying a stock of them around, just carry reversible ones! I love it!

The way I figure, if you have FXLR (or MXLR) >> Convertcon it's can be either a gender-bender or an expensive 1' patch cable. There may be some situation when you have an installed snake, that this might be worth it, but in my bag 'o tricks it doesn't seem very useful. If you're running an XLR cable anyway, why not just run it in the right direction? ;-)

But as often as you need 1/4" to MXLR, you'll need 1/4" to FXLR, so it's pretty useful here.

When they first came out I thought it looked amazing and wanted to buy some. I think I even added some to my shopping cart on a Redco order. But then I started thinking about where I would use them and how I would store them and couldn't figure either out. For storage, they take up a lot more space than a typical turnaround (especially since there's now cable in between) so they wouldn't fit in the tackle box I'm now using. Plus, I didn't really NEED any more turnarounds since I have at least 10 of each direction.

I do like the idea of 1/4" (or 1/8" really) to ConvertCon, though. One cable can do either iPod playback or 2-track record duties to/from a console with only XLR I/O, such as Yamaha digitals.

Wondering if anyone has used Neutrik's ConvertCon XLRs, I'm trying to justify them on some sub-snakes I'm building up...
I thought of the same thing on some sub-snakes as we convert to powered wedges, and need more XLR returns around the stage. The disadvantage I see to this is the stagebox has to have either XLR/TRS combo jacks with the TRS used in "return mode," or two parallel jacks on the box (of each XLR gender.) Either the box is bigger or the cables are sucky. Given these two evil choices, I might just take the third route and get 4 more channels in my sub-snakes, which still makes the box bigger, but at least it has more channels.

So in short, I think it's no big advantage in this particular application.

The place that I think they were develpoed for was for adapters. I plan on buying several to make several different types of adapters. I am kiddingly called the king of the adapters because my maintenance guys are constantly losing pieces so I have to work with what is there. Invariably I have the 1/4 to FXLR and I need the MXLR. With these I have what I need, make them up and put them in my truck with my personal bag of tricks.

I was going to use them on some permenently installed cables running from the booth to various locations so that they could be used either way and not have to pull them and turn them around every time someone wanted to use the cable the other way never thought about the 1/4 inch adapter I think I will get a few more for for that as well.

A little off topic though while looking for the convercons I came across Crystalcons, what beauties I thought it was a joke untill I saw one at my local supplier.

A little off topic though while looking for the convercons I came across Crystalcons, what beauties I thought it was a joke untill I saw one at my local supplier.

I still find them kind of a joke...
I have yet to be in a situation and say, darn, I really wish I had some crystal-lined XLR connectors!

I still find them kind of a joke...
I have yet to be in a situation and say, darn, I really wish I had some crystal-lined XLR connectors!

Then Sir has never seen the multi thousand dollar rhinestone studded windsock used on Dancing with the Stars in Australia...

I considered them, but was cheaper to make two one-way cables than one ConvertaCon cable. And the two can sometimes be more useful than the one.

True that it's cheaper to make two cables, but sometimes being able to change gender is a good thing. Of course, you can always use barrels, but that's just one more piece of gear to put away. I just built several two channel snakes to use as drive lines, stereo instruments, etc. Last night I ran the one cable to a podium and broke that out to the two mics. I keep a 10-footer in my consoles for L/R amp patching. Sure, I could run two cables, but I can run one cable in half the time and effort. The cable was 54 cents per foot, connectors were about $2.50 each, and the small amount of heat shrink and expandable sleeving I used (that I already had) was negligible in price.

I've been itching for a project involving ConvertCons since they were released but haven't done it yet. If anyone out there has some wiring projects they need done but lacks the skill/means to put it together I would be glad to build it for you at cost. I love wiring projects, the more complicated the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back