New ESPN studio

egilson1

Senior Team
Senior Team
CB Mods
Premium Member
ETCP Certified Technicians
I'm trying to place where this is since they're calling it XR? but the article mentions studio F. I did the build and install studio B for the fantasy show, and for Studio Z for the E60/outside the lines update. Am I right that this is just around the corner from Z?

They split studio F in “half”. So we removed the old pipe grid and connector strips, then they built a new wall to create the new studio along the exterior wall. We then went in and installed new grids in studio F and XR.

There were some interesting challenges with this project. When the building was originally built the plan was for there to be tension grids in each studio but somehow they forgot to design the hvac system and didn’t realize it until construction started. So the space reserved for the tension grid was reassigned to HVAC. Steel height is about 40’ and grid is about 20’ with hvac in between those two heights, severely restricting access to the steel. We tried a single person mewp and found we only could only reach one of 45 new points in studio F.

After some time “brainstorming” while laying in the fetal position in a corner I developed a system of two extension poles to install the new beam clamp and wire rope suspensions, one to position and hold the beam clamp and bolt, the other to position and operate the 90 degree Milwaukee power ratchet which was operated by of all things, tie line. Two people and a steep learning curve were able to install the points in about 5 hours.

Grid coming down photo
IMG_2497.jpeg

New studio F grid going up.
IMG_2866.jpeg

They split studio F in “half”. So we removed the old pipe grid and connector strips, then they built a new wall to create the new studio along the exterior wall. We then went in and installed new grids in studio F and XR.

There were some interesting challenges with this project. When the building was originally built the plan was for there to be tension grids in each studio but somehow they forgot to design the hvac system and didn’t realize it until construction started. So the space reserved for the tension grid was reassigned to HVAC. Steel height is about 40’ and grid is about 20’ with hvac in between those two heights, severely restricting access to the steel. We tried a single person mewp and found we only could only reach one of 45 new points in studio F.

After some time “brainstorming” while laying in the fetal position in a corner I developed a system of two extension poles to install the new beam clamp and wire rope suspensions, one to position and hold the beam clamp and bolt, the other to position and operate the 90 degree Milwaukee power ratchet which was operated by of all things, tie line. Two people and a steep learning curve were able to install the points in about 5 hours.

Grid coming down photo
View attachment 24541

View attachment 24542
I hope you charge extra for work done in the fetal position, particularly when it's the architect/client's fault.

Grid coming down photo
View attachment 24541

View attachment 24542
Seeing the before does look more familiar now. Was this a big enough project you could work normal hours or did they make you work 3rd shift during off hours?

I remember the issues we had in Z. It had the full tension grid but was definitely cramped and bit of a contortionist act around ducting. There are a bunch of creative... solutions, around the building.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back