New Sound PC

Don't rely on any run of the mill on-board sound. PCI slots are getting rare, and pro grade PCIe sound cards are expensive. External USB sound hardware is probably the way to go. Most of it is reasonably priced, and there are a ton of choices. That also makes the specs of the PC less important.

Yes for that amount, you could get a mac mini (500$), one 24" screen(130$), and, if you bought ASAP (or perhaps ask the amazing Figure 53 support nicely to extend the sale for you), you could take advantage of the QLab sale (currently 93$ instead of 200$), and still have a good bit of money left over for an audio interface, adaptors to connect the screens, a mouse/keyboard, and perhaps a X-Keys setup with macros. I would certainly explore this route. Also, QLab runs midi amazingly well.

I'll second what most say which is get a resonible computer that you can fit with your budget, after picking up something like a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6. (by used for an additionial 60$ off for ($190) from http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CP4IIJY/?tag=controlbooth-20

This will get you your outputs and inputs you are looking for. Aside from that You just need a PC that can run what ever software you want to use, I've demod SCS and thought it was fine. and well priced. If you are open to other platforms the Mac/Qlab is great and what we have recently switched to in my venue.

Keeping with PC, though You'll want a quality hardderive 7200RPM of what ever size you think you need to be your "media drive' for a processort an i3 (budget) would suit you just fine but the i5 is the price/performance work horse of the world right now.

to sum up, you should definatly be looking at an audio interface (external) that get you your inputs/outputs that you need, then fit a modern PC in around it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back