New Stage Floor Recommendation

Ech725

My theater is having a new floor put in. The concrete slab has been poured already. We've arrived at the point of covering the concrete. Can anyone suggest decking for the new floor? Or what do you have on your stage floor that seems to work well?

Try that Search function. it has it's issues but this topic has been beat to death.
Try Sprung floor.

Most specialty flooring companies can do a good job. It is not all that different than floors found in basketball courts and other athletic facilities. Call commercial flooring installers in your area and ask for references for jobs similar to yours.

~Dave

Well the contractor that is working on the building submitted there own proposal to cover the concrete slab. They've suggested 2 x 4 sleepers with 3/4" plywood on top for a total thickness of 2 - 1/4". I've checked some of these elaborate subfloors. We do about 6 to 7 plays a year. No real dance. 2 - 1/4" seems like enough space to anchor flats and what not. Does anyone have a floor similar to the one proposed? Any concerns about longevity?

I'd suggest two layers on top of the sleepers or at a minimum, add one layer of 1/2" or 3/4" on top of their top layer so that you've got a sacrificial aspect to the floor. You are going to want to replace the floor cover at some point. It's easier if it's something that is on top of a sheet good rather than the sleepers.

What Van said. My floor floats on rubber "pucks". It is 2 layers of 3/4" T&G laid perpendicular and offset with a top layer of masonite. The local dance schools love it.

I would be very concerned about the longevity, noise (footsteps, reverberation, etc.) and point loading of a single layer of 3/4" plywood. Imagine driving a 1 ton scissor lift on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back