New way to repair a curtain(new to me anyway)

sloop

OK.. our curtains are over 15 years old. I came back from vacation and found a 8' section of the chain pocket had been torn from the curtain along the seam line. Sewing, well I could back the curtain with webbing, then attempt to sew through the multiple layers on the chain pocket and the curtain with web backing but that takes time. I needed a fast fix.

I went to Lowe's, picked up some carpet seam tape. It is Fiberglass webbing with hot melt glue running linearly. I laid the curtain out on a table, ironed the carpet tape on the back. Fast and dirty..you bet, but it is very strong and puts the load over a large area of curtain fabric.
I can see the carpet tape used for a variety of uses. It is flexible, and very strong. I am Definitely keeping some around.

OK.. our curtains are over 15 years old. I came back from vacation and found a 8' section of the chain pocket had been torn from the curtain along the seam line. Sewing, well I could back the curtain with webbing, then attempt to sew through the multiple layers on the chain pocket and the curtain with web backing but that takes time. I needed a fast fix.

I went to Lowe's, picked up some carpet seam tape. It is Fiberglass webbing with hot melt glue running linearly. I laid the curtain out on a table, ironed the carpet tape on the back. Fast and dirty..you bet, but it is very strong and puts the load over a large area of curtain fabric.
I can see the carpet tape used for a variety of uses. It is flexible, and very strong. I am Definitely keeping some around.

The only thing i can see as a problem is your fire rating on your curtain is now gone for that section, applying heat generaly reduces the fire rating and the heat required to heat glue is quite high. So as a very temporary fix yes, as a perm fix Heck NO

The only thing i can see as a problem is your fire rating on your curtain is now gone for that section, applying heat generaly reduces the fire rating and the heat required to heat glue is quite high. So as a very temporary fix yes, as a perm fix Heck NO

Its probably safe to safe with 15 year old goods they have not been treated in awhile.

Patching is usually the best way to fix drops and curtains. Iron on patches are the only way to really repair any painted drop or cyc. I have never used carpet tape, but will keep that in my back pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back