Wireless New Wireless Mic Advice

I don't think anyone "hates" AT. Myself and Chris were merely bringing up the fact that just because they were used at the Olympics does not make them "the best." I was suspicious that AT was providing microphones for the publicity, and it looks like Chris confirmed that. Apparently it worked.
I am pretty sure that AT didn't directly sponsor the Olympics. That didn't prevent them from marketing that they were being used, not that they should have. I was referencing Blah and Parker who seem to be of the opinion that all of their stuff is junk, which is far from being true. AT deserves to be in the same class as Shure, Sennheiser, Audix, ect... I don't think anyone was claiming that they're the best, just that if they're good enough for xxxx (Metallica anyone?), they're good enough for me.

I said that I stay away from AT wireless simply because I haven't found a capsule that I like. I'm talking handheld here, I'm sure there are some fine lavs and headsets. I'd rather have an 835 or sm58 capsule (in that order) than some "no name" AT. The Sennheiser ew wireless just happens to be a great system to go with a great vocal mic.
Personally I don't like the way the e835 handles plosives, while I'd take one over a 58, they are both far down on my list of "good" dynamic mics. Anyway, Audio Technica as the ATM-710 as an available capsule for the 3000 series and it's a very good sounding mic, comparable to a SM87. I'd advise you check it out when you get the chance.

Actually, now that I think about it, there is one AT capsule I liked: AE5400. But now we're in the price range of the KMS105 (or Sennheiser KK105 wireless capsule), and again, I'll take the Neumann.
They're not even comparable in terms of price. The KMS105 is a $700 mic, the AE5400 is a $350 mic. The KK105 capsule alone is actually more expensive than the standard wired mic, BH has it for a hair under $1000... Of course then you're looking at Sennheiser's 5000 series wireless to go with it, which again is per-channel more expensive than AT's 4000 or 5000 series units.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back