Installs NOAA Weather Radio routed into ClearCom system

AJansen

Hi all,

Working through updating the safety protocols in my college facility and it was mentioned that we have a state supplied NOAA weather radio in an area with good reception but not accessible to all who need to hear it. So the question was brought up about integrating the radio into the Program line of our ClearCom base station. Upon inspection, our run of the mill radio (Midland WR-100) does NOT have a 1/8th jack that provides external audio. So we would be looking at getting something equivalent to this that does have external audio.

Anyone have any experience with this or know of other solutions?
Essentially, were looking for the severe weather warnings to broadcast over headset so that myself, stage management, crew, and house manager are aware and can begin shelter in place procedures.
Thanks!

I wouldn't want that on my coms. Ours goes off all the time for weather that doesn't require any immediate action, and tends to keep going for minutes. That would make it hard to talk over and coordinate with staff over coms. We just have weather radios in the main office and the SM office. We also generally know when storms are coming long before the arrive. So people are move vigilant about checking any alerts that show up on their phones, which in my experience usually show up the same time or before the weather radio starts to go off. Then once someone sees it they jump on com and the house radios to alert staff to what's going on.

This is not a good idea for several reasons:
One person needs to be in control in an emergency situation
Dissemination of information is a key part of disaster and severe weather planning
Untrained staff will panic
Many alerts require no action except observation by trained personnel

(I'm a trained Skywarn Spotter, FEMA trained incident manager and ESA Member and SWS attendee)

If your SM has a good weather app on their phone that's probably sufficient. Unless you're doing outdoor shows or live in tornado alley. That may be worth be a more stringent level of caution. At least in my own region, I can't say most weather alerts are worthy of having all the alerts on comms, and the ones that matter the most are typically known as threats a few/several days in advance. Your region and level of risk may vary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back