Note about Dremmel tool brush changes.

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
Don’t make them as good as they used to as a given. Unfortunately my tool from like 15 years ago I did burn out and had to replace. This both at work with a new one, and a supplemental rotary tool, and at home even if I do frequently bring home the more powerful industrial rotary tool from work. Funny, like 15 years of using my old Dremmel both at work and home - hard and that long to kill it off, and only months with the newer models in having also a few months ago killed off the more powerful one at work that was a free warranty repair.

Recently did a brush change to my 300 series at home after killing it off. Probably overworked it in getting that sputtering sparking die out of the tool. Perhaps it's the inexpensive and commonly available brushes that are lesser in quality?

Last week with the fresh brushes and very limited use, I killed it off again while grinding away at aluminum. Granted that’s a harsh thing to do, but the tool wasn’t becoming overly warm before I killed it off . Changed the brushes again tonight in having to tin some 20ga wire so as to push the brush out of the tool - stuck. Would move, but not enough to get out. Hard to extract the brushes.

Sprayed it down with electrical contact cleaner with lube, and still no extraction thus the tinned wire in pushing the brush out. No easy access otherwise.

Wondered why the brush that otherwise seemed fine (and is now spare) was difficult to get out and found out why the tool failed a second time so soon. There was residue of the first brush burned into the contact plate from the tool. Hard to scrape off and afterwards, contact cleaner again.

I think when changing brushes on your Dremmel took, a good idea might be to look at the contact plates of the tool that contact the brush and see if anything is burned into or residue left that contact plate. Had I removed the residue from the plate from the first change, the second set of brushes might not have failed.

Perhaps for any tool when changing the brushes, but possibly mostly for the newer series of Dremmel with only a single instead of dual contact plates especially, check to see if any residue is left on the tool’s contact to the brush. If there is any, it will prevent good contact with the brush as it contacts the motor.

And a note in a tool getting too warm... if you hold it up to your cheek and it's warm, let it rest. If hot... stop using it a while. Put into the refrigerator to speed up that warmth otherwise.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back