NSI Dimmer Fuse Holders - DDS6000 vs DDS5600

jack63ss

I recently purchased an NSI DDS 5600 Dimmer on E-Bay and when I got it I found out that it had no fuse holder caps. I've contacted the vendor I bought it from (since he said it worked fine) but in the mean time, I was wondering if the fuse end caps for a DDS-6000 would fit a DDS-5600 ? FullCompass sells the whole fuse holder for $6.60 so I could buy 4 of them just for the caps.
Thanks

DDS-5600.jpgDDS6000.jpg

...I was wondering if the fuse end caps for a DDS-6000 would fit a DDS-5600 ? ...
I bet they would fit, but I also bet you can do better than $6.60 each.

4436515.jpg
BK/HTB-42I-R - COOPER BUSSMANN - FUSE HOLDER, 6.3 X 32MM, PANEL | Newark

70160255_large.jpg
Schurter - 0031.1706 - Fuse Accessories - Holders - Allied Electronics

You need just the circular cap that one inserts the edge of a penny or dime into?
Is there a decent (i.e., not Radio Shack) electronics store in your town?

Back in 1979, I worked at a music store. I swear, the third most common item we sold (After picks and strings) were fuse holder caps! Some vendor was selling them in bulk for about ten cents each. I did a quick google image search for "fuse holder caps" and you can still get them in many styles, but they are more like $1 each now!

fuse holder cap - Google Search

My worry is that the cap needs to be for the right holder or it won't fit. I "think" I found the right one though, and the guy I bought it from said he'd refund 1/2 the purchase price to cover it. And I actually do have a good electronics store in my area that I am going to try.
Thanks !

Last time I was in our operations shop I was trashing an old Elation pack of a similar design. The boss of the whole facility saw what I was doing and told me to save those caps because "They're harder to find than chicken's teeth." Good luck good sir, good luck.

Actually Derek was really close. I took the cover off the dimmer and the fuse holders are Bussmann HBH, which I found online for less than $2 each. Shipping is like $9 so I'm going to try my electronics store first. Thanks for the feedback.

Oh these NSI packs and their fuse holders... Shoebox dimming at its finest.
I love em! Genuinely!

Two things I've noticed about fuses with several of these packs over the years though...
1. If-and-when the fuse on Dimmer 1 blows, there seems to be a ~50/50 chance of it welding itself into the stock holder.
2. The fuse caps themselves are cheap crappy soft plastic... Expect to end up stripping one eventually unless you're very gentle on them.

Thanks to everyone that replied. Turns out the fuse holder is a Bussmann HBH-I (not -M though), which is not uncommon. I ordered complete fuse holders for $2.75 ea. + shipping from Newark | US - Electronic Components Distributor | Electronic Parts Distributor and got them in 6 days. The total came to $18.55 and the seller refunded me $14.99, so I was only out $3.56, plus a bunch of time. But if you ever need fuse holder or parts Newark was pretty good.
Thanks Again
Jack

Thanks to everyone that replied. Turns out the fuse holder is a Bussmann HBH-I (not -M though), which is not uncommon. I ordered complete fuse holders for $2.75 ea. + shipping from Newark | US - Electronic Components Distributor | Electronic Parts Distributor and got them in 6 days. The total came to $18.55 and the seller refunded me $14.99, so I was only out $3.56, plus a bunch of time. But if you ever need fuse holder or parts Newark was pretty good.
Thanks Again
Jack

So What type of fuse did you buy? I am curious as I have never purchased the replacements. I would like to purchase the correct ones. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back