Old Dimmers not listening to Hog4

Knotts

Designing a show in a very antiquated space (to say the least). Rented a few intels and LEDs and a hedgehog 4 to control them. Tried to patch in the dimmer rack that runs the conventionals in the space and got nothing. The racks are three pin so I converted from the back of the hog 5>3. All I get when I plug in is dimmer one at full (as soon as I plug it in) and no matter how or what I patch, I have no control on this rack. Any suggestions?
I've attached a photo of the rack.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 140
An adapter, 5-3 is not going to cut it.

The three NSI DMX16 units at the bottom of the rack receive Microplex and output analog to the Electrol dimmers. See the thread https://www.controlbooth.com/threads/nsi-dmx-16-contraption-help.18860/ . To use any DMX512 console, including Hog4, you'll need a DMX512-to-Microplex protocol converter, such as a particular version of the Leviton/NSI IF-501. It may be easier and more expedient to simply rent a modern DMX dimmer rack or two (guessing you'd need a 24 x 1.2Kw and a 24 x 2.4kW), unless your rental shop has an appropriate protocol converter (might be by Fleenor or Pathway also) in stock.

Good luck.

If your Hedgehog4 is no longer working, it's because when you hooked it up to the DMX 16's Microplex 3-pin input, you applied 15 volts DC to the Hedgehog's DMX output connector via pin 2. Just because something is a 3-pin XLR doesn't mean it is DMX, hence the 5-pin standard in the first place. If everything is OK, you are very lucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back