Control/Dimming NSI DMX 16 contraption HELP

StagePin

Hi guys awesome site thanks for all this great info.
I have found in the Tech room closet, an NSI DMX 16 Programmable Demultiplexer with Micro-Plex in and out
What the heck is this contraption? Is it some sort of DMX 16 channel translator?
Can I use it with my NSI light board to run DMX lighting with my NSI Dimmers?
I know where did you find this dinosaur ?
I just thought I would check with you guys before I file it in the round universal file cabinet.
Thanks for any help
Oh! the board is a NSI (Leviton) MC 7532
I can send pic if needed of this rack mountable contraption
Dimmers are NSI Digital Dimming System DDS 6000
THANKS

Last edited:
This is a case where the name can be very confusing the DMX is not the Protocol DMX but rather DEMULTIPLEXER it is a device that allows for the NSI console using MPX protocol to control an old 0-10volt analog dimmer. It is NOT a DMX device

BTY your 7500 series already suports DMX and the DDS Packs can be converted over to DMX with a Chip that plugs into an existing socket and a change over to 5 pin Cables

I have done this on DDS 6000 packs and it is well worth the change if you are looking at adding additional DMX devices.

It is POSSIBLE on your 7500 to actually control MPX devices and DMX devices at the same time but on individual cables

Sharyn

Thanks Sharynf!! Can you tell me what the name of the chip to convert the dimmers to DMX is called I would like to get this.
The board can be switched from Microplex to DMX but not both at the same time according to the manual. I could be wrong, if you have tried this before of know some one who has
I goal is to keep my DDS 6000 dimmers to run the conventionals .
Well because they work great and I have 25 dimmer packs, but would like to incorporate some intelligent lights such as movers, scanners and strobes and a fog and hazer but still run the same board .
We do plan to make the move to the Avolites Pearl 2008 by the end of the year ,but would like to get started on the movers and DMX now.
Thanks again this site is awesome!!!

Here is the thread for the chip it is a 75176

http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting/10179-question-about-nsi-dimmer-pack-upgrade.html

I have not tried to run both at the same time but I THINK that infact you will get channel 1 mpx and channel1 DMX output at the same time, the problem is that it is confusing and that the console change is more so that the display etc match what is being output BUT as I said I have not personally tried it
you could give Leviton a Call and ask them

Personally I would just change everything over to DMX and just upgrade the packs. If you don't mind having 3 pin connections, you can use the same connectors you just need to move them over to the other pins on the DDS6000

I have an odd implementation on the 6000's I have, I have BOTH DMX and MPX on the packs, I have the three pin still for MPX and the 5 pin for DMX, and the packs were drilled so that the 5 pin connections are on the top of the case. BUT it is a bit tricky and can cause problems and confusion if someone does not realize that there are two protocols and that the 3 pin MPX has voltage on it for a console, so IF someone were to plug 3 pin DMX into the 3 pin MPX connection on these packs by mistake it would be a potential problem that could damage other devices on the line

So my recommendation would be to make sure you convert everything over to DMX and you COULD still use the 3 pin connections, by just moving the on board plug but make SURE YOU MARK EVERYTHING Carefully

Sharyn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back