One plug to rule them all (and in the darkness bind them)

gafftapegreenia

CBMod
CB Mods
Heres a curious product I discovered recently, apparently its even UL approved. A modular, configurable NEMA series plug end. *Could* be a handy thing to have bumping around in the work box.

Interesting. I don't like that it appears to be use one way screws in at least some places. It just seems like something to make life more difficult for the end user if it ever needs serviced.

I could see people just jamming this plug in the wrong way and sparks will be flying.

If I'm reading it correctly, Amiers, that's not a problem.

It's an *inventory control* item: electricians carry the one SKU, and *build it to match the appliance* when they install it: the configuration will be, and remain, that which is suitable for the device; it's not end-user adjustable.

Interesting. I don't like that it appears to be use one way screws in at least some places. It just seems like something to make life more difficult for the end user if it ever needs serviced.
Further to my comment to Amiers, I suspect it uses one way screws *so that* end-users can't monkey with it once it's installed; it's not *reconfigurable*.

The site mentions making reversing polarity easy by re-positioning the blades, which suggests some reconfiguration is possible.

I find it reassuring that it's only available in higher amperage and voltages, but I still can't see the advantage. Maybe if you're purchasing these by the thousands.

FWIW, i thought most manufacturers (Hubbell, Leviton, etc.) were similarly modular, in that the shell end with strain relief is uniform, and only the plug/receptacle insert is different. At least, i can remember looking at some L5-20 and L6-20 connectors and found they matched up.

They lost me at the price of $129.99 for a single piece.

ST

Yeah, I don't see this being economically viable at any sizable scale. For the low price of $129.99, no electrician is going to stock up on these as all-purpose connector. I could maybe see keeping one or two handy for "oh bananas" moments but beyond that, nobody is going to be use these regularly in lieu of standard NEMA connectors.

I think it's marketed at the agricultural/farm industry more than anything where getting a certain connector today could be a problem, but otherwise will remain a niche, low-volume product.

That looks like an expensive solution to a non-problem. I'm sure there's some places that it might save you in a pinch, but you can have a decent inventory of whatever you might have on site for what they're asking. Interesting idea though.

I think I'll stick with the Harting catalogue of connectors for when I need something custom or configurable. If I need a standard connector type, I probably already have it in stock or have a supplier who can get it to me within twenty-four hours for less than the asking price of the connectors this thread is discussing.

Perhaps if they were sold as audio hum-eliminators ....

but first we should watch farmer mortality rates in the vicinity of the Davis corp and see what the trend is ...

Perhaps if they were sold as audio hum-eliminators ....

but first we should watch farmer mortality rates in the vicinity of the Davis corp and see what the trend is ...
Or sold as "magically mo' better" power cables for AudioPhools to spend $k$ on...

Like Monster Cables, only ... worse. Perhaps on a NASA mission something like that would be helpful. I bet they use way better locking connectors, tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back