Opening/closing the upstage projection curtain with performers on the stage.

IAmLumenator

Premium Member
Hi all.

I've been wracking my brain for a couple days about this one. A performance we're doing requires a short film to be played on the large projection screen. After the film, the credits will roll in the top half while the performers will move into position on stage. The curtain closes, the projector douses, and the lighting comes up.

One of the performers has adamantly expressed a concern about being within 5' of the curtain as it closes behind them.

Our curtain can be controlled from immediately offstage, stage right with a bright red Emergency Stop button (however, no overload safety interlocks or anything like that, just a winch system with contacts that open at the fully open and fully closed sides, disconnecting that button, fully open curtain = open button is electrically disconnected.) The emergency stop button is a 30A latch breaker. When the button is pressed, the circuit is broken, when it is manually pulled out, the circuit is restored.

However, the curtain for this show will be controlled from our projection booth which only has Open and Close buttons, no Stop button.

I don't see an issue with the curtain, we've used it thousands of times since it's been installed. I tried a couple simple tests, press the close curtain button and gently tugged on it as it closed. There is some force there but my concern is that the cable holding it in place on the track would break before the winch stopped if a person's dead weight was somehow attached at the moving bottom corner. I have no idea what the curtain weighs but I know that it is supported at multiple points, and I don't know any stress ratings for it. There are no costumes to get caught, no props or scenery in the way, this individual is just genuinely afraid of being near the curtain as it moves.

Since there is no scenery for this part, I've asked about having that performer move to a different part of the stage, but since dance and choreography is a big part of this show they're reluctant to change anything unless absolutely necessary.

Maybe this makes this thread a little more relevant: The performer is a middle school student, and the parents have taken the approach that if it concerns their child, it concerns them. This space is not part of a school or anything though.

I'm about at my wit's end on this one because I'd like to accomodate any concerns and address any potential or even imagined safety concerns...I just can't quite figure out a way to make this work.

I'm not completely clear on the staging from your description, but it sounds like you are talking about a grand drape coming down, and the actor being concerned about being close?

First I would try to understand what the student is afraid of. If the fear is to be crushed by the grand drape, and the drape is soft perhaps you could demo that the chance of injury is nill.

Perhaps you should consider having a safety operator next to the e-stop switch.

All of that said, if the fear is irrational and cannot be assuaged, you may be faced with the choice of cutting the kid from the number or changing the choreography. My choice would be to cut the kid ( lesson = your irrational fear has consequences) but I am an old school cumurdegion.

I agree with John on this. Children often fear what they don't understand, so perhaps take a moment to educate them on how curtains work and that they won't hurt you.
Also, since you have the safety precautions in place at the stage location, why can't someone be there 'just in case' ?

If I was afraid of clowns, I wouldn't work in the circus. If the performer can't get over their fear on stage then cut them from the piece.

Thanks John,

I wish I could, honestly this may be going on to the point where the student is not scared anymore, but doesn't want to look like a fool.

That being said, the curtain opens and closes horizontally. One half on the left, and one half on the right. Our theatre does not have any sort of gridiron or anything. The curtain does not change height during transition.

I did a demonstration of standing up against the screen and letting the curtain close over me, but it didn't seem to help. I'm going to park the concerned parent near the e-stop and put the 'life of their child' in their hands (not that there is any danger whatsoever.)

Clarify please - motorized traveler curtain? Is open/close dead man operation (push and hold and if you let go it stops)?

If somehow this is raise and lower AND not dead man operation, DON'T USE IT AT ALL UNTIL MODIFIED.

I don't think it's a motorized traveler by the definition you're thinking. It is a far upstage curtain, composed of two pieces. Each piece is mounted every 1' to a track that runs horizontally. The distance between the closed curtain and the actual projection screen (effective back wall of stage) is less than 3". A winch is used to draw both halves either towards or away from center on the track. There is no obvious safety concern, it was installed and then inspected by the AHJ, and has been inspected periodically by the AHJ.

Park the parent at the e-stop while the curtain is going to move with their child underneath. Even if they were in direct path of the curtain, dead hung curtains, even motorized, are very safe. And generally move slow enough that they are easily avoided by a brisk walk, or a step downstage. As far as the curtain controls, personally I'd like to have a "stop" button as well as open and close, but that's just personal preference.

Clarify please - motorized traveler curtain? Is open/close dead man operation (push and hold and if you let go it stops)?

If somehow this is raise and lower AND not dead man operation, DON'T USE IT AT ALL UNTIL MODIFIED.

Bill

Trying to understand your position. Are you saying that on a motorized traveler an "open" "close" "stop" switch is unsafe , against code, not optimal, or something else?

And then how does that expand to other more complex automation with elevators moving, doors opening, scenery revolving etc. the only way I have seen more complex control work is with a "go" ( to next set of positions ) and "e-stop". Of course these complex systems have a human operator ready to hit the e-stop at in the event of trouble.

Does the blocking allow for this nervous actor to be buddied up with somebody who is less apprehensive about moving fabric?

Yeah, Standard Traversing curtain not guillotine style. My question is how did they get it in their head that the curtain could harm them? What age is the actor and can you be sure the "parent" is going to be knowledgeable enough to press the E-stop at the correct time or are they just going to freak out like their child and hit the E stop "FOR FEAR OF HURTING THEIR BELOVED CHILD". I have no patients for ignorant people who choose to be ignorant. If they wont listen to reason I'd cut them out and put someone else in their spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back