Conventional Fixtures Oval beam Fresnel fixture notes

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
Kliegl #43P08 Rear Crank style 8" Fresnel c. 1957 with Oval Fresnel lens.: 1MG48/11 lamp Bi-post lamp.

Heard about such a fixture before, and cannot imagine how anyone would get rid of such a fixture. Imagine, the oval beam Fresnel as a concept.

Total upgrade for modern lamp in saving the concept I would do... than again since like 1957, such an oval beam Fresnel hasn’t really been on the market in selling. This I have no idea in as to why. Interesting concept - why just have round ABC areas of lighting if one can do ovals of them?

I recently bought a Kligl #4P09 off E-Bay cheap. This is a c. 1957 out of the catalogue 1MG48/11 Bi-post lamp based fixture, though there was the pre-focus based lamp version available - I think it a mog. pre-focus lamp that might still be available and adaptable in newer halogen style for upgrade. Have not checked into this aspect other than noting the bi-pin verses pre-focus base option, and knowing the above G-48 lamp is no longer available.

Even has a working lamp with it - very antique lamp with it for it’s price.

Fixture notes: The lampholder of this fixture very much reminded me of any number of Mole Richardson type of bases - different but very similar in how it operates. Interesting that after over 50 years, the base on this fixture is in just as good a condition as when almost new. This yet much longer studio Fresnels have serious problems with their bases. Difference of spring tension in proper seating verses manual tension for many I think. This base was in really good condition and other than in cord whip, wasn’t using asbestos insulators between plates. Even grounded - though I located my ground elsewhere.

Other than re-wiring and cleaning, I will be very curious as to what this fixture could be for light outpt. Obviously if I were to use in a show, I would re-lamp and base it to something I can get, but I still think a very useful fixture and wonder why the oval beam Fresnel went out of style.

... than again since like 1957, such an oval beam Fresnel hasn’t really been on the market in selling. ...
It's listed in the 1965 catalog. In fact, Kliegl's 1965 catalog appears to have changed very little from the 1957 version.

...Have not checked into this aspect other than noting the bi-pin verses pre-focus base option, and knowing the above G-48 lamp is no longer available. ...
Bi-post. Mogul Bipost, actually. I'd suggest the 1000W CYV lamp as the modern replacement.

... and wonder why the oval beam Fresnel went out of style.
It didn't go out of style--it was never IN style. Always seemed like a good idea to me, but the fixture had already been discontinued when I began lighting. Anyone here old enough to have actually used them in a show? As far as I know, Kliegl was the only company to attempt such a thing. Put the idea in the same file as bi-focal shutters.

Last edited:
It's listed in the 1965 catalog. In fact, Kliegl's 1965 catalog appears to have changed very little from the 1957 version.

Bi-post. Mogul Bipost, actually. I'd suggest the 1000W CYV lamp as the modern replacement.

It didn't go out of style--it was never IN style. Always seemed like a good idea to me, but the fixture had already been discontinued when I began lighting. Anyone here old enough to have actually used them in a show? As far as I know, Kliegl was the only company to attempt such a thing. Put the idea in the same file as bi-focal shutters.

I'm listing it with the 1MG48/11 lamp as 1957 given especially the lamp. Bought it especially because of the strange lens. Will have to measure it's seat height for that of the CYV and it's larger wattage versions all at 5" LCL, verses the 4" LCL and discontinued 1M/T20BP which I more think this will have been the upgrade to.

Interesting of note is the Kliegl catalogue notes the inner lens cuts are painted for absorption. Mine are not. Catalogue drawing doesn't do what it really looks like justice. This in origionally thinking my Kliegl #55 had a 4.1/2" Kopp Oval lens in it due to the rear fluting. Re-thinking the label on that fixture in not having imagined a dual image lens was as extreme a concept. Instead, I think the lens, more orientated towards oval beam.

Well, I don't know if the fixture I got is authentic or not. The label says "44N8" but it has an oval beam lens and a mogul bipost socket.
OvalbeamFS_44N8.jpg
Note the two asbestos wires and TLGO plug. The "CSC 4507" is a venue ID.

Based on the 1965 catalog, it should be a 44PO8, assuming the 44 is a later model than the 43. The P indicates bipost, in this case mogul (N was for prefocus), the O for oval beam, and the 8 of course lens diameter.
t61p18.jpg
Does anyone have a Kliegl Bros. catalog from between 1965 and 1978 that lists the 44N8, oval beam or otherwise?

As for lamps, I'm going to try a 1000W CYV. I'm fairly certain that is the closest modern replacement for the original.
CYX_lamps.jpg
1978 General Electric Form SS-123P STAGE/STUDIO LAMPS Pocket Catalog

I can't wait to put a lamp in and fire this puppy up!

Last edited:
Wow you are a Master in pulling up old or general info.

Send me the fixture and I'll optimize it. Believe mine I E-Bayd' came with a lamp and was in good condion so I didn't question or study it further. Perhaps I should further abot the lamp and what's best for it to replace. As soon as I'm done with the Pat #73', I'll pull it down and further reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back