Palette OS Fixture Profiles

CTDixon

Total newbie here, so please don't flame me. I'm a band director who woke up one day to discover he was the "Technical Director" for the new HS auditorium. This was actually 6 years ago, and I'm finally digging into the light board beyond basic programming. I want to start working with LED RGB par cans and maybe even moveable head fixtures. The Palette OS doesn't include profiles for the fixtures I have available to me: an American DJ p56p LED and possibly some Mega Par Profiles. Is there a way to create those profiles myself by editing the downloadable fixture library? Is there a fixture profile already included that is identical to my fixture? How do I figure that out?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome! I am also a band director with a Palette board. I haven't tried to create a new fixture profile, but I am fairly certain it is possible. That being said, I'll try to lead you through what I would do if I had to figure it out. Sorry if you have already researched these:

1. What version of the Palette software are you running? Check the strand website and update if you aren't current - 10.8.6.
2. Do you have the latest fixture library? Strand Fixture Download Area
I am using an iPad right now so I can't check your fixtures, but it was just updated on Friday. They try to keep this pretty current.
3. Try the OpenPalette forums. If someone hasn't already done this, there might be a developer willing to add a profile to the library if it doesn't already exist.
4. Go to YouTube and watch "drgisboh" "palette training 07 pt. 2". These are little dated, but an great resource, and if you are new to palette, I would watch them all just to familiarize yourself with shortcuts etc.

I hope this is of some help! Maybe someone with more experience can offer more detail. Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions, AudJ. I'm current at 10.8.6. I had just updated the fixture library early last week, or maybe the week before, so I'll try that again. My gut is telling me that Strand tends to not concern themselves with the more "DJ" type fixtures as opposed to more "professional" fixtures, but I may be wrong there. I will look at the OpenPalette forums, haven't been there yet. I've been looking at the videos on Strand's website. Palette Training Videos | Strand Lighting - A Philips Group Brand
They are EXCELLENT! Not sure how long they've been there, but they weren't there when I was just getting started. The OS updates now include some tutorials in the install folder, and those are excellent as well. Strand has really stepped up their learning materials. I'll check out the drgisboh videos. I also commented on Strand's Facebook page, and they've been very quick to reply and gave me a contact in their company.

If you are needing a fixture profile added to the Palette software, all you need to do is email me or someone else from Tech Support the fixture DMX mapping and we can have one made for you.

Now from looking at the profiles for the American DJ P56P and Mega Par you can patch these into the Palette using similar fixture profiles. With the P56 you can patch that in as an American DJ P64, which has the same DMX mapping. For the Mega Par you can set it for 3 channel mode and then patch it in as Generic RGB fixture. If you have any questions on how to patch in a fixture, let me know, thanks.

Matthew Peters
Strand Lighting Tech Support
[email protected]
214-647-7961

Thanks, Matt. Strand is quickly moving to the top of my "Best Customer Service" list. Now, if we could just do something about those SL Coolbeam end caps! ;-)

Ooo. There are a lot more videos on the Stand site than last I looked. Wish there was one on interfacing with vision.net. I'll get to learning that someday...

I have been pleased with customer service at Strand also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back