Periaktoi Plans for Disassembling and Reassembling? 4 X 12 feet that rotate on casters

OhMyStars!

Hello! I'm NEW! Does anyone have plans for building Peri that disassemble and reassemble for storage purposes? We need to build 8 Periaktoi that are 4 X 12. We want to store the panels and have rotating triangle bases. Our school theatre was built in 1936 and we are up for major renovations in two phase, which is supposed to start this summer. Our house seats 1,600. I am new to my community and have always been privileged to work with tech who took care of everything TECHIE! Now, it is me and a group of parents.....in the Appalachian Mountains of Western Maryland! Wahoo!!!!! We want to put lights inside a few and have shutters on one side to look like light is peaking thru......
Our show is "ON YOUR FEET!" Goes up in March!

There are a couple of ways of going about this:

In your situation, I would build the bases with nice hardware and consider the flats that are on them to be "expendable" especially since it seems like you have specific design goals for this production. In that case, I would get 12' 1x3 stock, rip a bevel on the long edge, and then build the flats broadway style from there.

If you're going for truly "reusable", I'd make soft cover flats, same process of ripping the 1by but with softcover, all of your customization is in the paint finishes so you can reuse them over and over again at the expense of "true" dimensionality. I'm not at my desk at the moment, but if you give us a greater sense of what you're looking to accomplish, we can provide better guidance...

Hello! I'm NEW! Does anyone have plans for building Peri that disassemble and reassemble for storage purposes? We need to build 8 Periaktoi that are 4 X 12. We want to store the panels and have rotating triangle bases. Our school theatre was built in 1936 and we are up for major renovations in two phase, which is supposed to start this summer. Our house seats 1,600. I am new to my community and have always been privileged to work with tech who took care of everything TECHIE! Now, it is me and a group of parents.....in the Appalachian Mountains of Western Maryland! Wahoo!!!!! We want to put lights inside a few and have shutters on one side to look like light is peaking thru......
Our show is "ON YOUR FEET!" Goes up in March!
I'll bet you could reach out to the department at Frostburg State and get some guidance!

I built a handful of periaktoi earlier this year with stock 4x12s. Plywood plates at top and bottom held it all together very well. Standing up, we swapped a few faces here and there. With only two flats the assembly was still rather stiff. I wouldn't hesitate making one side louvered or otherwise less than solid.

Attachments

• Midsummer DCB Periaktos.pdf
    40.9 KB · Views: 141

Users who are viewing this thread

Back