Phantom "Boat" scene fog

flyweed

Hey all. We are going to be doing Phantom for our HS musical this June. Our stage is 40 wide and 28 deep from plaster line to cyc. I am just trying to figure out what the best unit would be to use for doing the low fog effect. Should I try the Rosco Cold Flow (co2 unit) that has regular fog pumped into it and chilled by CO2, or should I do a Pea Souper, or ?????

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks

I've have good success with this product

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/401677.html

The benefit is, you don't have to worry about buying CO2 or Dry Ice, it just uses Fog Fluid and MAGIC! (actually its more like a AC chiller with a fogger built in)
Performs just as well as other methods of low fog generation, and is much easier and a safer to deal with.

You can also rent this unit from Full Compass

http://www.fullcompass.com/rental_items/278/Fog+Atmospheric+Effects.html

PM me with any questions....

We have an LSX unit in our inventory. It is only the chiller part of those units, and you can place a fog machine behind it. Does a great job of keeping your fog low. You probably want to use some sort of fast dissipating fluid in your fogger with a chiller unit, otherwise as the fog starts to warm up in the room, it will rise. Things start to get pretty hazy after that, and you lose a lot of the effect. Look around and see if you can find one locally, they work really well.

If you really want to fog the WHOLE stage doing it the old fashioned way with dry ice is really hard and a real hassle. There's nothing like two or three 50 gallon drums of nearly boiling water and bags of dry ice to keep things "interesting" back stage. A CO2 unit will give you a lot of fog... but it's still pretty expensive and a hassle. So I would vote for the quick dissipating fog fluid run through a high power fogger and a chiller. There are lots of options out there. Call your local rental shop and see what they have to offer.

If you really want to fog the WHOLE stage doing it the old fashioned way with dry ice is really hard and a real hassle. There's nothing like two or three 50 gallon drums of nearly boiling water and bags of dry ice to keep things "interesting" back stage. A CO2 unit will give you a lot of fog... but it's still pretty expensive and a hassle. So I would vote for the quick dissipating fog fluid run through a high power fogger and a chiller. There are lots of options out there. Call your local rental shop and see what they have to offer.

A hassle? I dare say it is far less a hassle than getting and conserving dry ice. the only hassle constitutes of.. waiting on the Gas company to deliver... the CO2. Aside from the , it really comes down to how many generators, how large the area, how long does the cue last.

I work for MDG. I'm biased... and the BEST Non-Dry ICE, low-lying fog generator in the market, by a long, long shot, is the ICE-FOG Q :
http://www.mdgfog.com/en/prod-low-ice.html

The average coverage is between 85-120 sqm/ minute (915 sq ft - 1295 sq ft), with exceptional results if there's a phisical boundary, barrier to let the fog roll upon itself.

Hey @Dalamar, I'm not sure how that second "hassle" got in that post. I totally agree that an MDG CO2 fogger is an outstanding choice and not a hassle. The pool of fog around the MDG booth at LDI is VERY impressive and would be fantastic for Phantom. My only concern in this case is that there are very few High School productions that have the budget for an MDG fogger and the wonders of liquid CO2, even in a rental situation.

We used two old fashion 55 gal dry ice fogger each with two 4" ports along up stage wall. Covered quite nicely while the boat moved from DL crossing DS finishing UR at bhis lair.

Hey @Dalamar, I'm not sure how that second "hassle" got in that post. I totally agree that an MDG CO2 fogger is an outstanding choice and not a hassle. The pool of fog around the MDG booth at LDI is VERY impressive and would be fantastic for Phantom. My only concern in this case is that there are very few High School productions that have the budget for an MDG fogger and the wonders of liquid CO2, even in a rental situation.

Totally misread your first post.
Sorry about that.

Hey all. We are going to be doing Phantom for our HS musical this June. Our stage is 40 wide and 28 deep from plaster line to cyc. I am just trying to figure out what the best unit would be to use for doing the low fog effect. Should I try the Rosco Cold Flow (co2 unit) that has regular fog pumped into it and chilled by CO2, or should I do a Pea Souper, or ?????

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks

I Love my LeMaitre Low Smoke Generator, i got this pre Ultratec. Yes, you have to get the Liquid C02 tank and use Molecular Fog Fluid. But I can Fill my stage (48'x36') within seconds and keep it at a constant flow for at least 20mins. shut it off and the fog dissipates within seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back