Playback Hardware

I work in multiple University facilities that are mostly roadhouse- one nighters, the client providing audio in various formats. Up until recently we advised everyone to use CDs.
We have been using Denon 2100F CD players but they are showing their age. I use Qlab for my own work, but my boss is averse to a software solution. He would much rather see a dedicated CD/MP3/Hardrive device. I looked into the 360 Instant Replay but it is not versatile with formats.

Any suggestions?

Thank you, David

Your boss should hop out of the 90's and embrace modern technology. A Mac Mini with QLab and a multipurpose format-agile playback program like VLC is really your best bet.

I work in multiple University facilities that are mostly roadhouse- one nighters, the client providing audio in various formats. Up until recently we advised everyone to use CDs.
We have been using Denon 2100F CD players but they are showing their age. I use Qlab for my own work, but my boss is averse to a software solution. He would much rather see a dedicated CD/MP3/Hardrive device. I looked into the 360 Instant Replay but it is not versatile with formats.

Any suggestions?

Thank you, David

So I agree that Qlab is a good thing. If you read my post again you will see I use it and have used it since day one.
I have 5 venues that are staffed by students with a wide set of skillsets so we are looking for playback options that are robust and dirt simple. I'm not real excited on tracking 5 sets of operating system and software upgrades.

So if you have any thoughts on hardware that would be great.

A Mac mini with an external disk drive and usb interface is about as industry standard as it gets. Between qlab and VLC media player you'll be able to play just about anything someone will bring you. Depending on the IT department, you might also be able to get them all relatively cheaply. It'll give you much more flexibility and if well maintained, reliability. Qlab is very easy to learn. Drag song into cue list. Press Go when ready. And VLC works just like iTunes which just about every college student has used.

Do you know why your boss is against a software solution?

Alcorn McBride makes solid state audio players, also gilderfluke. Those are professional grade players so you know they work, and will work every time. Marantz makes some as well as Gemini and a few other companies.
What is your budget, how many simultaneous tracks need to play, and how robust does it need to be?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back