Possible Events Center What would you want?

Considering it hasn't gone to vote to even approve the location suggested I'd vet that this is a preliminary drawing of a suggested build for the city. It can't before than just in verbal and writing goals since the funding must be approved by the people here.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Considering it hasn't gone to vote to even approve the location suggested I'd vet that this is a preliminary drawing of a suggested build for the city. It can't before than just in verbal and writing goals since the funding must be approved by the people here.
That could be, but the issue is basically a matter of what is being funded and approved at this point. The reason I brought this up is that on publicly funded projects I typically have an approved Program and concept before any cost estimates are offered.

It seems simple but is often overlooked that before you can approve funding for a construction project you have to know how much funding is required. To do that takes knowing what you are building, which in turn often requires some level of design effort in order to define the facility. That design effort must have some basis, which is where the Program or Needs Analysis factors in. This is often the 'which came first' aspect of publicly funded projects where the funding has to be approved before anything can happen but there has to be something upon which to base the funding. Thus it is fairly common to break a project into multiple phases, with a separate phase (or two) for Programming and design followed by a construction phase with each phase having separate funding. In many cases Programming and Schematic/Conceptual design are performed as a separate phase of the project in order to determine what is wanted and to develop a sufficiently detailed concept, and related pricing, in order to then pursue funding of an appropriate amount for the complete design and construction of the facility. In those situations, any requirements identified after a Program and concept have been accepted or approved are often considered changes. Some changes may be easy to accommodate, others may entail additional time and/or fees from the designers and may also affect the construction budget.

There are situations where other approaches may be used, for example the funding may be based on generic 'per square foot' construction costs or the costs of some similar buildings. And there are some situations where a design team may invest a significant amount of conceptual design effort into a project 'at risk' in order to get the work. On the other hand, it is increasingly common for publicly funded projects to employ approaches such as Construction Manager at Risk or General Contractor at Risk in which case the design effort and documents are typically somewhere around 60% complete before a construction budget is defined and that number approved. And if it is a design-bid-build approach that some public entities employ then any approval of a construction cost could mean that the design documents are already 100% complete and bid with what is being approved being the actual construction bid based on those documents.

In this case, it may be that what is being approved is the funding to start the design process. However, the fact that there apparently is a consultant involved and that there are drawings with some level of detail at least suggests that there may already be some form of Program and concept defined. If so then that means that the type of information you're gathering now while very important should have been defined earlier in the process. That's why I'm suggesting verifying where the project is in the process so that you can both have an idea of what information may already exist and perhaps gain some insights into how to best present any additional information.

Not specific to this situation, but this is where many projects encounter problems when there are technical people involved as while they may have a great understanding of the technical systems, they often do not have a good understanding of or experience with the processes and procedures involved in a construction project, or at least one having to go through the public bid process.

I guess, I'm not sure where this project is in terms of the phases. I have been able to make suggestions since they are very rough and crude drawing that looks like they have been copy and pasted into place from the architect firms company. The only thing that looks project specific is how it attaches and the renderings but renderings don't take long to compile after some basic (copyable) parameters have been met.

I was hoping to be able to suggest small alterations, such as how the IT guys who is probably going to be running the building has asked that there be Fiber run between the buildings for interconnection as well as fiber to each IT closet.

The only scoreboard I'm aware of is the center cluster setup with I'm going to bet live video ability. This is on a "lift platform" according to the schems and it looks to have space provided for motors.

I was hoping to be able to suggest small alterations, such as how the IT guys who is probably going to be running the building has asked that there be Fiber run between the buildings for interconnection as well as fiber to each IT closet.
I also hope you get the opportunity to do so and most consultants/designers will support that. But I am reminded of when I was working on a bid for a renovation of a local theatre and asked some of the tech staff for their input only to have them be surprised by my asking since the competing firm (a well known, and well connected, firm who ended up being awarded the project) had apparently told them they already knew what they should have and did not want or need any input. I'd like to see such a situation avoided if at all possible as I think getting the input and 'buy-in' of the users can be extremely valuable.

I also hope you get the opportunity to do so and most consultants/designers will support that. But I am reminded of when I was working on a bid for a renovation of a local theatre and asked some of the tech staff for their input only to have them be surprised by my asking since the competing firm (a well known, and well connected, firm who ended up being awarded the project) had apparently told them they already knew what they should have and did not want or need any input. I'd like to see such a situation avoided if at all possible as I think getting the input and 'buy-in' of the users can be extremely valuable.

This happens far too often, the consultant gives the idea that they know what is needed, and often ignore the people who work in the venue... Its worse when your boss is the one doing the ignoring and gets to be the one talking to the consultant, saying what he figures the guy wants to hear... Bad bad bad.

That happens all the time. You would be surprised how many of my clients are at a loss when I sit down with them in the first meeting and just talk to them about what they do, what they want, problems they have had in the past, etc. I even had one client ask me when we were going to talk about cost. At the first meeting! Apparently another design/build firm showed up with a complete bid, equipment list, etc without ever having talked to them, just from the (not very specific at all) RFQ. I was amazed.

This happens a lot with churches. They get sold whatever the installer likes to sell, as the highest margin on, has sitting around the shop, or whatever. Sometimes it is okay, mostly it is junk. Even known lighting "consultants" and design/build firms sell them whatever, knowing they won't know the difference.

Then I have to come in and they have to spend more than the original system even cost to get the correct system.

It is sad.

Listen to the client, sell them what they want and need that fits within their budget.

Mike

There is a company nearby that buys a ton of gear and then lowballs bids because they already have it in stock in bulk. Never mind if it is what you need for that room. I have gone behind many of their installs and fixed it so it works.
There is a local install where they sold them two sound boards, one in the booth, one in the house. Then they installed a snake to be able to bypass the booth board but failed to install a snake big enough to handle the board. All the wirelesses and playback equipment stays in the booth. The logic being that anybody doing a show that would want to mix in the house would bring that themselves. WTF?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back