Powders for a 'dusty cloth getting shaken out' effect

DomLauria

We are doing Elephant Man and the director is looking to have a 9'x16' vintage looking circus advertisement to be hung as the audience is filing in. When the show starts he has the pinheads grab the banner and yank it down from its hang position (where it will be held in place by light duty clamps). He wants some kind of talcum powder infused or spread out over the material so that when the banner gets pulled down it leaves a lot of powder in the air to give weight to a light shooting through the area in which the banner was hung.

A couple questions come to mind:

What kind of powder is least harmful if accidentally breathed in by actors or audience members?

What kind of powder is easily cleaned off of the house carpet or audience seating should it settle in that area? (I do have extra house carpet and seating I can test the powder on)

What kind of powder would best hang in the air to give weight to the light?

Any other questions/variables I should be considering?

Thanks!

Any particulates can cause respiratory issues.

Talcum powder is linked to all sorts of health issues which can be very bad for one's health. Some infant deaths have been linked to it.

Rye flour or corn starch may be safest to inhale. People who have asthma or other respiratory issues should be warned about whatever you intend to use.
Fuller's earth (kitty litter) is likely the least combustible (Google "silo explosion" to understand why organic dust can be hazardous). Fuller's earth has been linked to silicosis in rare circumstances.

Most dusts clean up well with a vacuum cleaner.

Found a cool demonstration video:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
If this is right at the beginning of the show, can you just haze / fog the stage? It would give you the right look without having to worry about an actor getting dust in their eyes or your front row sneezing through the first act.

I envision the banner in front of the grand drape. Curtain begins to open, Lights come up as pinheads drop the banner.

If you use haze/fog (maybe a small fogger right above the banner to pre-fog the area) and when they pull down the banner it will disturb the haze/fog and with the proper lighting will make it look like a "dust" cloud.

Any time you use haze/fog or dust effects you should have both written and spoken warnings. I mostly see them as, "This show uses dust, fog, and haze effects." A simple sign posted by the doors and/or ticket booth is probably enough.

That's exactly what we are going for, the banner in front of the grand drape being pulled down at the beginning of the show.

I can definitely envision a quick fog/haze at the beginning, perhaps focussing the fog or haze through tubing directly on top/beneath the banner and then airing the stage/house out with a large fan or pushing the HVAC to create negative pressure outside the theatre, will discuss with the director!

Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back