Power and DMX for new LED fixtures

RichG

A theater I work in is getting all new LED figures. To connect all these fixtures to power and DMX the consultant is recommending bundled/combo True1/DMX cables from CBI. Anyone got an opinion on these? I'm of the mind that power and DMX should be separate even though 90% of the time we'll be daisy chaining fixtures. One of my arguments for keeping them separate is if one breaks you can replace the individual cable and not have to replace the more expensive combo cable. The combo however will probably be a cleaner installation... Also, It looks like the combo cables from CBI are only 14/3 where other standalone True1 cables I'm finding are 12/3. Thoughts?

What does the pricing look like on one combo cable compared to a power and dmx cable of the same length? I would need to save at least 15% by going combo to think it was worth it. I can think of way more cons than pros to go combo.

Combination PC/DMX cables keep a nice clean look on the grid, but you must be extra mindful of how many fixtures you can daisy-chain on the power side. Especially true with 14/3 wire. Check the total current rating and compare to the fixture loads.

Be sure to get plenty of DMX-only cable too because you’ll need it to complete the DMX runs at the breaks between power runs.

And if you don’t have True1 receptacles on your raceways, you will need adapters — PC to True1 or Edison to True1. If I remember right, Hopkinton only has a few PowerCon outlets— but they might be Speakon audio connectors! (If so they might not be connected to anything- they never completed the audio installation when I was there. )

Good luck!

-luke

Takes away some flexibility in laying in power. We found that Power-Con pass thru cables were expensive for what you got. It was cheaper to use Lex E-Strings for LED lower power need fixtures (our direct power stuff was all Edison connectors) with the pass thrus on the higher power moving head units. If you end up going separate cables, get a LOT of 10ft DMX. I like that length better for when fixtures are not jam packed. 5Ft works well when fixtures are closely spaced, useless past about 3ft. We had a big learning curve to teach crew to leave enough slack on data and power cables on static LED fixtures, else they could not be focused.

We use combo leads on our cyc bar as the fixtures are close and the connections flow out to in along the bar. We do seperate into power circuits so there is a stand alone DMX cable in the middle. Our fixtures can pass enough power for this setup.
When we run a ground row we use them too for a neat and tidy look.
We had one dmx fail do it was removed from the link and now we have a power link without dmx.
Never had problems with dmx and power running sided by side.
We had a big learning curve to teach crew to leave enough slack on data and power cables on static LED fixtures, else they could not be focused.
I have been telling the young ones this for a while and the other day one of them expieranced the tight cable and said "Now I understand what you were talking about"
Regards
Geoff

What I've experienced, coming into spaces where cables were purpose designed for the initial houseplot is - it never works out in the long run.
I'd only use pass through cables or bundled cables in situations where there's only 1 possible hang pattern, like boxes or integrated into architecture. Anywhere else, someone's eventually going to need to pull out the ACME cable stretcher.
It would be perfect on a tour where the plot won't be altered, but at some point in a regular theatre, someone's going to want to move a few lights and then you'll need new power leads, couplers and more DMX cable.

Dual power and DMX reminds me what I tell pharmaceutical reps and device manufacturers all the time at the practice when they are presentng the next new whiz bang.
It looks great... but you have the solution to a problem I don't have....

We have some of the combo cables from TMB. They are nicely built cables with one downside. They are very stiff, so cable management can be a headache unless your cables are really close to the length you need. So if you have something like strip lights that will always have the same spacing, or have to have that really clean look then they might be worth it for you. But there's no way I would them to be the majority of my cable package.

We have some combined cables in 2,3,5 metre lengths. They not as useful as we thought they'd be so we also end up using 2m plug cords to the nearest outlet on the bar and various lengths of DMX cable. They're also heavier and harder to manage, as already suggested.

Takes away some flexibility in laying in power. We found that Power-Con pass thru cables were expensive for what you got. It was cheaper to use Lex E-Strings for LED lower power need fixtures (our direct power stuff was all Edison connectors) with the pass thrus on the higher power moving head units. If you end up going separate cables, get a LOT of 10ft DMX. I like that length better for when fixtures are not jam packed. 5Ft works well when fixtures are closely spaced, useless past about 3ft. We had a big learning curve to teach crew to leave enough slack on data and power cables on static LED fixtures, else they could not be focused.
I was thinking exactly the same re length, 10', even if units are 6' apart, you still need 18" flexibility on either end to focus regardless of combo or not.

Combination PC/DMX cables keep a nice clean look on the grid, but you must be extra mindful of how many fixtures you can daisy-chain on the power side. Especially true with 14/3 wire. Check the total current rating and compare to the fixture loads.

Be sure to get plenty of DMX-only cable too because you’ll need it to complete the DMX runs at the breaks between power runs.

And if you don’t have True1 receptacles on your raceways, you will need adapters — PC to True1 or Edison to True1. If I remember right, Hopkinton only has a few PowerCon outlets— but they might be Speakon audio connectors! (If so they might not be connected to anything- they never completed the audio installation when I was there. )

Good luck!

-luke
The biggest reason I could see to avoid it would be that it commits your power and signal to flow in the same direction. I've encountered many times where it was easier to not do this, but it may work just fine in your space.
Very good point. Power in this space can come from either direction but DMX, probably only one...

What does the pricing look like on one combo cable compared to a power and dmx cable of the same length? I would need to save at least 15% by going combo to think it was worth it. I can think of way more cons than pros to go combo.
The combo cables are at about a 20% premium. For that I can buy a lot of e-tape. Agreed more cons than pros.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back