Production Course Expectations

Hughesie

Hello All,

Can i first preface this thread with the following,

If this is in the wrong spot please move it on my behalf. Also if this subject is too touchy too discuss just delete it as im not here to enforce extreme views as i foster any educated crew that work for and with me.

The issue i would like to raise is the expections people have for the type of work they do coming out of technical sound and lighting courses like one i recently completed. In the graduating class that i am part of i found a lot of people after getting their diploma expected to jump the ladder or move up the chain of command just because they had completed a course, now i have to admit this was the instructors told us we would be doing if we graduated but i knew with my brief amount of experience that it just wasn't going to happen.

Many of the studies and tasks we were assigned were the tasks of heads of department such as keeping a prompt book and operating a complete sound and light department. We were exposed and got the chance to use desks such as Hog 3 and Digidesign Venue Consoles which we were told were the type of desks we would be using after leaving the course. Sadly the truth of the matter is no matter how qualified you look on your resume the likely-hood of getting the type of work we're looking for is minimal.

For me after leaving the course i began to work as a roadcase pusher at a company but it did take me a fair few weeks of job interviews and job searching to discover that i wasn't going to get that type of work that i thought i had been groomed for.

Now im looking to hear from people who have experienced what its like to complete these courses and i will be interested to know what others who have been in the industry think of this new breed of qualified glorified case pusher and if they have had an impact on the industry at all.

Don't get my wrong the entertainment industry is still word of mouth and these course (or at least the one i did) doesn't teach you how to talk to people on the phone for work or even how to roll a cable.

Discuss...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back