Professional development post-undergrad

I was wondering if anyone can recommend any courses for continued education for lighting? I've completed my B.F.A. in lighting design but feel like I need some additional training and recognized certification courses would be useful. I am based in New York.

If you can get into it I would recommend the following, I have also completed a few of theses.

Vari-Lite - Philips Entertainment

ACT Lighting | Training

http://www.tmbtraining.com/hipposchool/]TMB TRAINING | Training[/url]

http://www.martinpro.com/sub/seminars/seminars.asp

ETCP - The Entertainment Technician Certification Program

What is it specifically your looking to get more chops on?

All of those things are great. The one issue with them is without going into them knowing what you need to get out of them they are pretty useless. You can learn to program on a GrandMA, but unless you are going to come into contact with one that training is pointless. All of these courses are designed for employers to send their employees to OR the freelancer who knows what they are looking for.

What is making you think you need more training? A GrandMA, Hog4, Hippo, etc course is not going to make you get jobs any faster. Going to industry conferences will not help with that either. It is hard to get out of the academia "everything I need to know I can learn in a book or class" mindset, but that is what you have to do. ETCP is a long way off for you, odds are you are at least 2,000 hours shy of the requirement.

So, if you want to learn more, go get a job and start learning. Call up Frost Lighting, they have one of the larger over hire lists in the NYC metro. There is no point in sinking any more money/time into sitting in a classroom and hearing someone talk. Get your hands dirty and just go for it.

If you can get into it I would recommend the following, I have also completed a few of theses.

Vari-Lite - Philips Entertainment

ACT Lighting | Training

http://www.tmbtraining.com/hipposchool/]TMB TRAINING | Training[/url]

http://www.martinpro.com/sub/seminars/seminars.asp

ETCP - The Entertainment Technician Certification Program

What is it specifically your looking to get more chops on?

I am looking to be a better electrician, my undergraduate education was in design so the basics were glossed over for me. I am also interested in having a better understanding of working in the business. I'm not ready for specific product training, I'd just like a better understanding of how to survive and work in the industry. I currently freelance and I don't feel as if I'm making any connections or working as often as I would like.

Where do you live in florida? I have lived in orlando and miami before the locals there are pretty good and not mafias in the sense they are impossible to get into, i would do what footer said and just try to get out there. Would you be willing to travel?

Where do you live in florida? I have lived in orlando and miami before the locals there are pretty good and not mafias in the sense they are impossible to get into, i would do what footer said and just try to get out there. Would you be willing to travel?

He's based in new york now, despite his florida location on here.

While it's commendable that you recognize that you might not be as strong as you could be and want to go for more training, the reality is that at the level you're probably working now, people aren't hiring people because they're great GrandMA programmers or can maintain a moving light. They're really just looking for reliable guys who can follow instructions and have a very strong grasp of the fundamentals of electrics work. These classes are all great, but most of them are manufacturer-specific and revolve around teaching you a ton about one particular product, rather than giving you a strong overview of a lot of topics. I know many Local 1 and nonunion guys who have taken classes at CUNY schools to build up their skills. Both Steve Bailey and John Huntington teach at CUNY schools (Brooklyn College and City Tech, respectively), and I'm sure you could learn a ton from either of them. I don't know anything about their programs or night classes or anything, but taking one or two classes like that would probably be very helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back