Projection screen tape wrinkles

MarshallPope

I couldn't decide if this should go in scenic or projection, so feel free to move if necessary.

Last night, we began loading in our next show, which is very projection-heavy. All of the projection screens are Rosco Twin White stretched onto wooden frames, affixed via staple gun. Two of the screens are 2-3 pieces of twin white seamed together via Pro Gaff RP tape. We assembled the screens off-site a few days ago and rolled them onto carpet tubes. Upon unrolling them, we found that the tape lines were severely puckered all along the width. By stretching a bit extra on the tape lines, I was able to reduce the puckering at the ends of the tape, but not in the center of the screen. The largest screen is, if I recall correctly, around 20' wide by 11' tall, with 3 pieces of twin white, running horizontally. THis is the one causing the most trouble.

Any suggestions on how to reduce the puckering? I had thought about trying a heat gun, but that is just instinct, I have no idea if it would actually do anything, or if it might just make matters worse.

Thanks, as always!

My gut feeling is that it will make things worse, but I don't know that for sure. I am thinking when they where taped together, the Gaff stretched as they where taped. As it sat there, it sprung back a bit causing the wrinkles. I would think the best solution would be to re-tape them, and try to minimize the tension on the tape as you tape them. Even a small amount of shrinkage, multiplied over 20 feet could be a big problem.

Again, just my initial thoughts from my own little world. :)

Let it hang for a few days under tension, it should relax a bit.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the input.

We ended up giving it a couple of days and then just stretching the hell out of the tape lines. It's not perfect, but it's much better than it was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back