Proper Socapex wiring

I've never used it. Allways had a hardwired system when hanging in theaters, and too small of a system to really warrant it in the clubs. Have been thinking about using some with my upcoming system though.

I thought it was a H,N,& G for each circuit. Is this not the case anylonger?? I have seen alot of 14 conductor advertised as 6 circuit soca.

So what's the deal?? How many grounding conductors??

I did try a search here for the info, and a google search, but must be searching incorrectly, as I am coming up short.

Thanks!!

12/14 Soca is the most common out there in the lighting world. All of the grounds are summed into two lines. Each circuit still retains its neutral. 12/18 does exist as well. Some people will run 8 circuits off of it, once again summing the grounds down 2 lines. 12/18 is usually used by audio company to power line arrays. Rarely is it used in the lighting world.

Thanks.

I read it as six hots, six neutrals (grounded), and either two or six grounding conductors...either way, all the grounding pins are bonded together.

It read to me as though the two conductor method is preferred.

Thanks.

I read it as six hots, six neutrals (grounded), and either two or six grounding conductors...either way, all the grounding pins are bonded together.

It read to me as though the two conductor method is preferred.

Just make sure those grounds are bonded together in doing 12/14 cable into plug on both ends. A Soco cable tester to rent or buy is a good thing to use each time before use as some grounding rings work properly at times but at other times with just how they bend and flex and or aign don't at others. Question of many companies by way of grounding ring. Once a bad grounding ring you don't have ground to circuits.

Too much solder bonding grounding ring you now have liquid electric arching between all conductors should you get a good voltage spike, poor design you might not have a ground. Soco is a trained thing that if not so well or in pre-testing the cable before use you are better off with the 12/18 cable type.

19-pin Socapex-compatible is what's being discussed, DCAT. 12/14 is 14 conductors of 12 AWG; 12/18 is 18 conductors of 12 AWG. The debate about whether each circuit needs its own, independent ground wire or if it's acceptable to gang all the grounds together has been continuing almost since the beginning of using that connector in our industry, by, I believe, James Thomas Engineering of the UK, in the early 1980s. The earliest cables had conductors capable of only carrying about 10A, just enough for a single 1K par can. 14/14 cable is still used by some shops. In the US, 20A cable didn't really take off until it replaced the Pyle-National StarLine 12/37 multi-cable used by the NY lighting shops.

The center, 19th is un-wired, unused, except in one very special circumstance. Anyone know what that is?

What about 19-pin soca? And what exactly is the difference between 12/14 and 12/18 soca?
the CONNECTORS are 19 pin it is the wire connecting them that has two options, the most common is 12/14 which is 12 awg with 14 conductors, each connection as a hot/neutral and then all the ground pins are summed (connected together) into TWO conductors.

In the audio world, there has been a use of the soca 19 connectors to use for multiple audio feeds, in this application, typically there are 18 conductors used

Sharyn

The center, 19th is un-wired, unused, except in one very special circumstance. Anyone know what that is?

im going to guess the answer to that has '400' in it :mrgreen:

I also seem to recall it being used in the cable between VL6 ballast/power supply thing and the smart repeater, but that was around 14 years ago so who knows......

For DCATTechie:

On a socapex break in/out (fan in/out) each of the tails is 12/3. So you have 3 conductors (individual wires in the cable) that connect to the three pins in the stage pin (or whatever connector your break in/outs use). Those three conductors are wired to three of the pins in the 19-pin pin socapex connector. This is the same for each of the six tails. This means that you have 18 conductors that are connected to 18 of the 19 pins in the socapex connector.

On the multi-cable side you usually see one of two types of cable: 12/14 or 12/18. This means that the cable has either 14 or 18 12AWG conductors. If it has 18, then they are wired up to the same 18 pins that the break in/outs are wired to. If it has 14 then all of the ground pins (which happen to be the middle ring of pins in the connector and the center pin) are bonded together and we connect two conductors, one each to two of the ground pins. So, while only 14 pins have a conductor attached to them, all of the grounds are tied to two pins.

Are there certain brands of soco connectors that are either preferred or shunned?? Are some known to have better designed bonding rings, better connection points, construction quality??

Also, 12 gauge conductors considered 2k or 1k (for de-ratiing)?? And what opinions do you all hold towards the PVC as opposed to the rubber jacket.

As I will mainly be in bars/clubs, I am not sure that I am required to use the heavy duty SO, but know from experience how durable it is. I imagine the PVC is MUCH lighter though.

As for de-rating... good question, but could you imagine lugging around 100 foot loops of 10/18 ?? Can you say "Theater Strike?" PVC does turn into a frozen garden hose in winter on the road, but I remember the days of hauling elephant d**k cables, and I would rather make sure the cable loads in first and warms up than put my back through that again! (not sure how you would get 10/18 into the connectors.)

Generally, the 14 is considered 1k and the 12 is considered 2k. Not sure how the 1k jives with the #12 minimum in stage work, but it is a lot lighter!

Steve Terry could probably answer some of the code specifics, and what may (or may not) have exemptions. The grounding issue has always intrigued me, but 12/14 appears to be the norm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back