PSU Issue

tyler.martin

Ive got an old Apollo SmartPower PSU (I think they are the SmartPower 150? but a different design than the current series), that is a bit glitchy; the power cuts out all the time, DMX isnt seeming to pass through all the time. The Lines are returned with proper 4 pin cable. DMX is terminated and behaves the same way either right out of the console or out in the rig, the PSU is not on a dimmer, and it behaves the same with different scrollers and icues. Ive taken off the casing and there arent any scorch marks, blown caps or burnt traces.

Im wondering if i should send it out for repair, or wether it would be cheaper to buy a new one?

Apollo stopped making the SmartPower150. So you probably have one of the newer 200W units. The question that comes to my mind first though, is: do you have too many devices on one PSU? The PSU probably won't be able to drive more than 5 SmartColor scrollers. If you are mixing them in with I-Cues, you probably get even less. I also typically find that things work out better when I split up my scrollers into two loops and utilize both outputs. I believe it is only actually one power supply driving both outputs, but it just seems to work better for me.

Of course the other question is: is the data input to the PSU good? Have you tested it? Does anything else on the same DMX line have issues?

Of course the other question is: is the data input to the PSU good? Have you tested it? Does anything else on the same DMX line have issues?

They are actually PSU-10's. Not SmartPowers's
Data input is fine. Nothing else has issues.0

We only use Spectrum Q3 Scrollers which use about 14watts less power than the Smart Colors, and we usually only have 6 per line.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back