Push sticks

gafftapegreenia

CBMod
CB Mods
I need to make some new push blocks/sticks for the table saw. There are so many patterns I’ve used/seen, any reason to prefer one over the other?

481290-438x.jpg

Not my picture, first hit from google images. I always liked the bottom style, maybe with another groove cut on the back side. It allows you to grab most shapes of wood and keep your hands well clear. The top style is great for sheet material and 2x4s.

17 years ago I made one very similar to the bottom device in the above picture. It works great for us, and still exists today (amazingly). I feel it gives the user the most control for what we cut. It works really well for inexperienced users I tend to have. The hand posture on the other shapes, for me, allow the users hand to get closer to the blade than the other style.

~Dave

Last edited:
Guess I'll be the safety guy and say that the bottom style does nothing to prevent your hand from sinking into the blade. Middle style is the safest in my head. I've seen shop made ones where the distance between the bottom edge and the grip is at least 3 1/2" to avoid running your hand through the blade even when its up at its max height. Granted you trade stability when you go higher so maybe its a wash.

Not a shop-made design, but could easily be adapted into one. I'm personally fond of this design from Bench Dog.
1601919635390.jpeg

There's no risk of your hand dropping into the blade, your hand is offset over the fence instead of over the blade, and the vertical grip allows you to let go and lift your hand out of the way in case of emergency, without having to open your fingers down into the blade.

Guess I'll be the safety guy and say that the bottom style does nothing to prevent your hand from sinking into the blade. Middle style is the safest in my head. I've seen shop made ones where the distance between the bottom edge and the grip is at least 3 1/2" to avoid running your hand through the blade even when its up at its max height. Granted you trade stability when you go higher so maybe its a wash.

blade height is a great point!

I would point out that Each of these has their pros and cons, and like a Torx, Crescent, and box wrench each has an time and place for use. I like the bottom one made from Pine or some other real wood for dimensional. I like the middle one or a variation, made from ply for plywood or other items that tend to lift as you run them though the saw, and I like the top to use with my left hand on PLexi and Foam.

Something like this is probably about as safe as your going to get. I like the grippyness of it. I feel like it give me a lot more control than a traditional push stick. If you do go the homemade route then make a few styles and see what you like and don't like. Plywood is cheap.

I've been doing carpentry work for the last 65 years, both scenery and building a number of houses and apartments,, without any of these fancy things. At the first such job I had, the boss told me, "Blades are sharp. Keep away from them." It's always worked for me.

My high school wood shop teacher hand a push stick rather like the bottom example, but with a couple of slots cut into the "head". He painted that part to look like fingers... "These fingers go *there* (pointed down at the table saw) so yours don't." And unlike some of my other shop teachers, he had all his fingers, toes, and eyesight.

I've been doing carpentry work for the last 65 years, both scenery and building a number of houses and apartments,, without any of these fancy things. At the first such job I had, the boss told me, "Blades are sharp. Keep away from them." It's always worked for me.

you must have some skinny fingers.

Wonder what you do for rips less than an inch.... I used to be fine with an inch and no push stick. I've gotten older so now I use one for anything under 2". trying to get wiser as i age.

Wonder what you do for rips less than an inch.... I used to be fine with an inch and no push stick. I've gotten older so now I use one for anything under 2". trying to get wiser as i age.
For rips under 1", push til you're a foot from the blade, then pull from the other side.

For rips under 1", push til you're a foot from the blade, then pull from the other side.
That has the risk of nipping the blade (riving knife notwithstanding) or allowing the work piece to twist (downward pressure of the teeth notwithstanding). I've certainly seen it done plenty but I've always been told to only ever feed from the "front" with downward pressure on the workpiece.

About 20ish years ago, in my scene shop, I whipped up a super-simple push stick out of 3/4" ply.... even though we have a Sawstop now (with its own plastic push stick), the kiddos (and I) still seem to grab the "vintage" one more often....
Asset 2-100.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back