Questioning Convention and Tradition: Curtain Call

So my university is performing "A Midsummer Night's Dream" next week, and I had a random thought spurred on by other hypothetical situations (as picked from different threads on CB). But I was just wondering, since this show ends with the character of Puck/Robin giving an epilogue/apology/blessing to the audience, why would you do a curtain call. In my mind, it would make more sense artistically to do without a curtain call, so that the audience can leave with these words in their heads.

So hypothetically speaking, is there any legally binding legislature in the Canadian Theatre Agreement, or whatever your AHJ on Equity is that states that there must be a curtain call? I can see why the actors would like the personal recognition (and tradition), but is it required.

An idea/compromise?
At some point during Puck's final blessing, why not have the rest of the cast come out quietly from both wings, so as Puck finishes, they are all out there, they all take very abbreviated bows or even a head nod, and then bring in your grand or raise house lights or whatever (maybe even have Puck start out in a spot, and then as cast comes out gradually raise the lights around him onstage so as show them).
This gives the cast a curtain call, but keeps it simple, and the emphasis would still be on Puck's soliloquy.
At least, that is how it appears in my head. Maybe try it to see what it looks like?
Just a thought...

An idea/compromise?
At some point during Puck's final blessing, ...
So, good night unto you all.
Give me your hands, if we be friends,
And Robin shall restore amends.
I had a director interpret the phrase "give me your hands" as Puck asking the audience to applaud. :clap: Not sure I agree, but there it is.

“I'll privily away; I love the people, But do not like to stage me to their eyes; Though it do well, I do not relish well Their loud applause and aves vehement, Nor do I think the man of safe discretion That does not affect it.”
~William Shakespeare
Measure for Measure (Vincentio, the Duke at I, i)

Last edited:
So I had no idea, this thread would be such an issue. I think my original question of whether Equity requires a curtain call was answered in the first couple of posts. I am by no means the director or of any artistic imput as the ASM so I was just wondering hypothetically if you were required to have a curtain call. But this disscussion on who the curtain call is for, is a rather interesting development that I had not seen coming. So keep the questioning coming...

However, for the shows in question its usually one where half the cast is running around naked and someone is speaking out of a trashcan and another person is pushing themselves around in a wheelchair with a stick (who can name the playwright...).

oooh... oooh... me... me...

Beckett

What do I win? :)

Sounds more like a Larson show to me...

Taking a bow is not thanking the audience. (and before you try and tell me differently i have talk to several acting professors who have had at least 10 years prior non-educational experience) A bow is a way to give the audience one last look at a performer (not the character). This is to me just another "payment" to the actors

First off, I'd say in about half the theatre productions I have seen the actors stay completely in character throughout curtain call - maintaining mannerisms, expression, etc. I rarely, if ever, have seen wigs or costume removed before curtain call so as to "show off" the actor and not the character on curtain call.

I work a lot with european cultural associations, and the vast majority of the time, the cast comes out for curtain call clapping along to a song / gesturing toward the audience in what seems very much like a "thank you for spending time with us tonight, your attendance here is what allowed us to get up on stage tonight and do what we love - so thank you, thank you, thank you"

That being said, I did a production last week that had a curtain-call soundtrack that ran 4:15 (I hinted to do the director after night 1 that this was a buzzkill, to be met by a deathstare) with each actor doing about 8 bows with planned applause time way over what I would expect to hear or what the actor deserved.

Sounds more like a Larson show to me...

Or anything produced in Eastern Europe. You forgot pouring blood on themselves, giant masks, and the random servant on a ladder forgetting all his lines and simply working on the wall the entire show.

First off, I'd say in about half the theatre productions I have seen the actors stay completely in character throughout curtain call - maintaining mannerisms, expression, etc. I rarely, if ever, have seen wigs or costume removed before curtain call so as to "show off" the actor and not the character on curtain call.

I work a lot with european cultural associations, and the vast majority of the time, the cast comes out for curtain call clapping along to a song / gesturing toward the audience in what seems very much like a "thank you for spending time with us tonight, your attendance here is what allowed us to get up on stage tonight and do what we love - so thank you, thank you, thank you"

That being said, I did a production last week that had a curtain-call soundtrack that ran 4:15 (I hinted to do the director after night 1 that this was a buzzkill, to be met by a deathstare) with each actor doing about 8 bows with planned applause time way over what I would expect to hear or what the actor deserved.

Could be worse. Went to my show last night, and the SM called the house lights up after the actors took 2 collective bows, no breaking it up, and then they left. Audience kept clapping until the hands came out and cleaned all the blood off the floor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back