Questions about college interviews

Mauser

I have a couple of college interviews coming up for their theater programs, and have some questions about it, and thought that this would probably be a pretty good place to ask.

1. I plan on constructing a portfolio to present and in it I would show different things I've down, however, I'm not quite sure how I should present it, my plan right now is to get some type of binder and then I can shrink down the plots I've made and print out pictures of my different projects, would this be a good thing to do? and if so, with the larger plots, would it be better to get a larger book, or would it be fine to chop them in half and put them in a 3 ring binder opposing each other to create the full plot?

2. What would be the best way to dress for one of these? would it be better to just wear everyday clothes, or would it be better put on some nicer clothes, may be a shirt and tie?

Don't invest too much money in a proper portfolio or "presentation case". Right now, a nice 8 1/2x11 binder will do you just fine. I would bring full sized prints of work you have done if you have them, but they don't need to be in a binder. A drafting tube is a pretty standard thing to bring to any interview. I have lugged those things on more planes then I can count. The bigger the binder you have the more stuff you have to fiddle with during the interview. For now, stay small.

As far as what to wear...

Don't wear anything you are not comfortable in. If your not used to wearing a tie, don't. On the other hand, don't wear jeans and a t-shirt either. Wear what you would wear to a nice restaurant or a show. Business casual is what it is usually called.

The other big thing to remember is that you have to have something to say about whatever you are going to show. Don't pack a binder full of examples of your work if there are things that you don't have anything to say about. (that was a really awkward sentence, i hope it makes sense). Make sure that you can talk about why everything that is in your binder is there, don't just show things for the sake of showing them.

I don't know exactly what you plan on putting in your portfolio, be it mainly design work or what not. But photos of things you have built or painted etc are very useful. After viewing these photos your interviewers might think "After some training, I could hire this kid as a carpenter in the shop." The more well rounded you are, the better. :)

Money $$$

Lots of good information can be found by entering "portfolio" into the search box. This is one that deals specifically with size of drawings. See this thread for what to wear suggestions.

Remember, it's okay to be anxious in the interview as the outcome could determine the rest of your life (!):eek:, but... you're interviewing them as much as they're interviewing you. Make them explain why you should spend $20,000-150,000 over the next four years for the "privilege" of attending their institution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back