Control/Dimming Recommendations for a new console?

Hello. I'm the director(of everything) for my high school's theatre group. We recently lost the main processing unit in our old light console (Leprechaun 1600 48/96) :evil:, and the tech I spoke with about repair suggested it wasn't worth it.

We're currently in the "sell candybars and beg local buisnesses like mad" mode, but I'm looking at potential replacements. Obviously, I'd love to get an Express 48/96 (few and far between right now online and pricey), so I'm looking at alternatives. I was on one of the major used gear sites, and saw a Colortran Encore that looks like it should be similar to the Express...however, in poking around your threads, it seems like perhaps not. Can someone with experience the board give me a run down on whether this board is even worth thinking about?

Also, what is the general consensus on the ET Marquee 128? Is this board complicated? I have to train a new board operator every three years or so, so I'd like to keep things relatively simple.

Any help is appreciated!

I've got an Express 125 looking for a new home. It has fewer manual handles than 48/96. Send a PM if you're interested. However the Express family, and preset boards in general, are getting a little long in the tooth. Nothing wrong with them, but you may want to consider something still in active development.

How many dimmers do you have?

The only console that is under 2k new and is decent is the Smartfade from ETC.

Otherwise, take a look at picking up a used Express. Something to remember about the express.... people are ASKING over 2k for just about any of them, however, I have yet to hear of anyone actually selling them at that price. I would offer 1k and pay nothing over 1.5k for a used express. A used 24/48 should go for no more then 1k.

Smartfade 12/48 will fill your needs and your budget. Its no express, but it will do. If you troll ebay, you might be able to pick up a decent console for under a grand if people don't know what they have. You could get a new console for under a grand, but your not going to like what you buy.

The Colortran Encore is in some ways superior to the Express series, in some ways inferior. When it comes to applying effects to cues, it is superior. Like modern ETC consoles, ie the EOS Family, you apply a separate effect to be triggered by the cue, versus being the entire cue itself. Effects are most easily run off of subs on the Express, IMO.

When it comes to patching I prefer the keypad and used of @ based command lines on the Encore.

Parting Q's? Give me an Express. The Encore lets you part cues, but it will double record values for channels, with HTP. Annoying! The Express automatically moves channels into parts as you select them and record parts.

Tracking? Easier on the Express. Record-Track. Encore requires you to keep track of what mode of the three it offers, Cue-Only/Track/Clean-up (Block), you are in. Oh, and when recording you can not set a default time; it is always manual unless otherwise entered. To be fair, the Encore does allow for recording time at the same time as the cue as it uses a command line interface.

The Encore's back up battery is hard to find and is probably dead now. Louder GO button than the Express, and a loud fan, too.

Not a bad console at the right price, though.

What would you say is the right price? I'm looking at one for 1450...too much? I don't want to get taken for a ride.

In my book, thats too much.

Used Lighting Consoles - Used Stage Lighting for Theater, Installation & Touring - Solaris

Give them a call. Tell them what you have to spend and you will take that express off their hands that is currently collecting dust. They want 4 grand for a console.... and they can't even bother to remove the tape from the last gig on it. I would be amazed if any of those asking prices ever actually get hit. With the pricepoint of the Element and Smartfade, no way are they moving these consoles. Its a buyers market.

$1450 is too much for an Encore, IMO, but not too far out of the range depending on the model. Like the Express line, there are several versions. The main issue is, they weren't sold in droves like the Express, so how reliable they are is less of a known, parts are less available. The one I've worked with randomly has memory issues; erasing the entire show from the board, and even once resetting everything back to factory defaults. Including the data protocol which meant it ended up outputting Colortran MultiPlex (CMX), not DMX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back