Removing 'rat fur' speaker carpet

Les

I have some JBL JunkRX's that I'm trying to re-cover. I'm not really planning on spending much money on them since they're just my secondary speakers (my mains are RCF Art 312a MKII's), but I have this "brilliant" idea of removing the worn out carpet and just spraying the boxes with bed liner. I have a wedding coming up in a few months and need them to look nice.

For low-end speakers, they used some really good glue... Stuff doesn't want to let go. So far, I've only tried pulling/prying/scraping, thus managing to make it look like a small dog has chewed on them. No heat or solvents -- yet. Any ideas?

I have some JBL JunkRX's that I'm trying to re-cover. I'm not really planning on spending much money on them since they're just my secondary speakers (my mains are RCF Art 312a MKII's), but I have this "brilliant" idea of removing the worn out carpet and just spraying the boxes with bed liner. I have a wedding coming up in a few months and need them to look nice.

For low-end speakers, they used some really good glue... Stuff doesn't want to let go. So far, I've only tried pulling/prying/scraping, thus managing to make it look like a small dog has chewed on them. No heat or solvents -- yet. Any ideas?

I would try to stay away from solvents, if the box is MDF or similar the solvents could destroy the box. I just did a little googling and it looks like heat and a scraper/chisel are going to be required. I also saw a post saying he used a utility knife to score the carpet making it easier to take it off in strips.

If you don't use these boxes often (and it sounds like you don't), why not just rent a pair? The cost will likely be no higher than the cost to clean them and spray them again.

Belt sander but be careful ;). You could also just reskin it over the old stuff as bedliner sticks to damn near everything.

Thanks for the tips, guys!

This is a wedding for a family member, so there is very slim profit margin. My train of thought with just doing a refinish is that they will be less embarrassing to use in the future ;). It's an idea I've been kicking around for a while, and I figured having an event coming up would be a good motivator to go ahead and dig in to it.

You're right that I don't really use these often. The main reason I'm pulling them out now is because the wedding and reception is all in the same room, so I need the system to be spread out some.

Last edited:
Don't put bed liner on carpet toil get air pockets that will chip out. The glue is heat activated so heat gun and a scraper will help. They are mdf cabs so no solvents

Heat gun is working so far. Nasty job and slow going, but it's going.

Post some pictures, especially of the finished product!! I used to use JRX wedges all the time and I hated the nasty rat fur. Good luck with the project.

For others who may be interested, a clothing iron usually does a good job.

Great tip on the clothing iron! I may give that a try because the heat gun is a real pain. Very fine line between too hot and not hot enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back