Renovating a couple Telex Radiocom BTR-300s. Help on Parts!

doggmann

Hey everyone! I just dug out a couple old BTR-300 base stations with corresponding beltpacks. I'm missing headsets, but just found a box of old telex headsets that I'll just need to swap out the 1/8" plugs for 4-pin XLR. The base stations are missing their antennae and a bunch of the buttons are broken/missing.

Does anyone know where I might find parts? I especially need the antennae, right? I might be able to make some sort of button alternative (gaff tape fixes everything!).

I just sent an email to RTS who now makes the Radiocom systems. I might hear back from them, but I'm not holding my breath.

Any help would be much appreciated!
peter parish
tech director
Redwood High School, CA

Argh!! Antennae for these units are $219 EACH. Ack...

Anyone out there know some antennae hacks? Can I just stick a coat hanger in it, like the good ole days?
peter parish

I was just thinking of asking around local clubs. Great idea!! I'll look at that. I'm in the SF Bay Area, so there should be something nearby. Thanks!

I also needed new headsets and dug deeper in our "storage" at school and found some aviation headsets - look like 70s or 80s style. Single black oval-shaped plastic ear cup with red button (PTT, I believe) and folding, open wire arm for the mic. They look great, though a couple have notes on masking tape saying mic or speaker doesn't work. They've got dual 2.5mm/3.5mm style plugs that i need to re-wire to a 4-pin XLR. I'll have to take apart the beltpacks to get at the PTT switch, if it's as easy as coupling it to the PTT on the headset?

I wonder if I'm taking apart the beltpack, do I swap out the XLR hookup for a dual phone plug recept or make adapters - 4pin XLR->dual phone. I should look at the beltpack first. I've only taken those apart enough to replace a volume knob. I haven't looked at any other connections yet.

Thanks!

I acquired a complete (ish) set of these a few years back. They had regular VHF whip antennas on them from an old AT VHF wireless unit. It works just fine. I did look into buying new ones- way too pricey, which are 25" for send and 29" for receive- 5/8 wave if you want to have someone make them. I since rack mounted mine and remoted the antennas just above the stage managers panel and I still get decent reception all the way to the lobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back