Rental of moving heads

Maybe I'm a geezer but why would you want movers for Godspell? It is a great show to do with layers of color and isolation areas but I can't think of a single use for a mover. I can certainly see uses for scrollers or other cool toys available but not MLs.

I could think of a hundred reasons why one would want to use an automated fixture for Godspell! Number one being specials...wouldn't it be better to have one fixture that could do the job of many conventional instruments? It looks like he might be in a small space...probably doesn't have the power for more instruments, but a couple of movers use practically nothing when we it comes to power! Just because a mover is being used, doesn't mean its going to be all flash and trash and movement!! It is very easy to use them more theatrically.

I'm not sure whether or not they are 250's or the Krypton/Entour. I think I'll go with the 500's, if it's in the budget :/

Hey Corbettlight! Thats pretty step for the hazer! Where are you located?? Maybe some members here can give you some suggestions for other places to get quotes from!? How many fixtures are you looking for?

I totally agree with what others have said...Just because the 500 is older does not mean it is a bad fixture. It was the spot fixture to have when it first came out, and still is a workhorse! If the 250 is the newer Entour version it is a very decent fixture too, and will not have a problem punching through the lights from the conventional fixtures you mentioned. The 500 will have more functionality than the 250. An iris would be one attribute you would really want if you are going to be using the fixture for specials. One thing to check would be the power required. Unless the 500 is the "E" version with an electronic ballast it will require 208v three-phase service. Do you have this available??? The 250 on the other hand, would take regular 120. Ask our rental company about the power if you aren't sure. How exactly do you want to use these fixtures? Maybe there is something else we can recommend that will do the job you need for cheaper!!

Hope this helps some...

I could think of a hundred reasons why one would want to use an automated fixture for Godspell! Number one being specials...wouldn't it be better to have one fixture that could do the job of many conventional instruments? It looks like he might be in a small space...probably doesn't have the power for more instruments, but a couple of movers use practically nothing when we it comes to power! Just because a mover is being used, doesn't mean its going to be all flash and trash and movement!! It is very easy to use them more theatrically.
If he is using them for specials then I can see that. I will agree there are places to artistically use movers in theatre. I just have a problem when guys use technology because they don't know how to design without it. I am all for using everything available in appropriate places, but not just to use them because they can. I will also admit I may be allowing my bias to read more into the situation than it is. I will now stand back abnd see the answer that has now been asked twice previously, what are their intended purpose.

I agree with you Michael! You bring up a great point. A lot of people use technology just because they can. While at the same time, give them a studio space with a handful of conventionals and they wouldn't be able to pull the design off. Sometimes we start to take technology for granted. I too, am excited to learn of the intended purpose.

BDS0111 - I'm not sure which versions of the lights they were talking about. They only said MAC 250 and MAC 500. About the price of the hazer, I though it was steep too. I'm dealing with Hollywood Lighting in Portland, OR.

I know how high rental prices go...I'm in the upper midwest region...and my state has like three big rental companies...one for lights, one for sound, and one that does both...

I had a bad experience with the one that does both. Tried to charge me for XLR cables when I was renting 2000 dollars (rental price, not claimed value) worth of speakers and amps. Jerks.

They also wouldn't honor a quote because it was "too outdated". It was 3 weeks old and they wouldn't honor it because it wasn't in their system as a rental, just as a quote. The reason that became an issue is because apparently they have "summer rates" for products...so everything became more expensive.

They also wouldn't honor a quote because it was "too outdated". It was 3 weeks old and they wouldn't honor it because it wasn't in their system as a rental, just as a quote. The reason that became an issue is because apparently they have "summer rates" for products...so everything became more expensive.

Demand changes on a seasonal basis so it would make sense that a quote for one period of time would be dramatically different than another one. Try finding a PA system for rent on NYE verses the middle of January and you will get two very different quotes!

Demand changes on a seasonal basis so it would make sense that a quote for one period of time would be dramatically different than another one. Try finding a PA system for rent on NYE verses the middle of January and you will get two very different quotes!

But when I called them in June for an August rental, I told them it would be in August, and they also sent me a quote for August. So if their rates changed, the quote they gave me in June should have reflected August's prices.

But when I called them in June for an August rental, I told them it would be in August, and they also sent me a quote for August. So if their rates changed, the quote they gave me in June should have reflected August's prices.

oh yeah, that is just silly. My bet is between the original quote and now they rented the gear to someone else and they would need to cross rent to fill your rental.

I suppose it could have something to do with the limited number of rental houses you have in your area, but generally when a company has to subrent equipment for a customer they either get a better price from the company that they are renting from so that they still make some cash, or they will eat it and hope that they will get you back as a customer. Thats how we do it with event equipment anyway.

oh yeah, that is just silly. My bet is between the original quote and now they rented the gear to someone else and they would need to cross rent to fill your rental.

That sounds more likely. They got something bigger that makes more money and the original bid got kicked to the curb.

That sounds more likely. They got something bigger that makes more money and the original bid got kicked to the curb.

That and/or that they never kept track of the quote in the first place. It did take them 20 minutes on hold for them to find the order in the first place when I called back in August...

jerks.

And, on that note, they WILL NOT be getting my service back. (and I've also told everybody I know in the industry about the experience).

On a different note, the other rental house I get my Shure UR gear from, I only had an order for 2 systems a few years back. Well one busy week in September (so the guy at the rental house told me) said, yeah, we had to short a gig at a large arena (as in...Xcel energy center huge...) two systems because we ran out last minute. He said he still gave me mine because I had my order in 3 months in advance, they called two days early, because they took the guys word when he said "we SHOULD have them".

They ended up sub-renting from another place, but it did cost the people at Xcel...

sorry guys...lol.

They left you on hold for 20 minutes????!!!!!!! Sounds like this company just has the typical case of horrible customer service and not knowing how treat you right! Stay away from them, use the other guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back