Control/Dimming Replace fader on Strand MX

patmyhill

Hi there
Has anyone actually replaced a fader unit on a Strand MX desk. Mine, recently bought 2nd hand as a backup spare arrived without a midi fader.
A quick look suggests it's just a case of soldering two pins to the sockets in the circuit board and the units are available (in the UK) very cheaply. It may be that when the spare arrives it will have instructions, but it would be useful to know if anyone else has experience of this repair and if there are pitfalls
Thanks
Pat

Just use good soldering skills and don't leave the soldering iron on the traces of the circuitboard too long or you will delaminate the trace from the board. If you do, use a piece of the solid telephone wire and solder to the next tab following the broken trace, and then to the tab coming through the board for the fader. If it is a two sided board, meaning traces on both sides, then check to see if the fader has connections on both sides. If so, it may require using a very fine wire and pushing it through the board with the tab of the fader and soldering on both sides. Look carefully at the faders on the board, they may have a manufacture name and a part number. If so, go to Mouser.com and do a search using that information. If a part shows up, download the spec or data sheet and check the physical dimensions. Most faders on lighting boards ar 10kiliohms linear taper. The trick is to match the mounting dimensions and the tab dimensions that the knob fits. If there are several items that are similar at mouser, the cost of the components is usually so low compared to the shipping, that I will order one of each and that way I will find the one that works. Good luck.
I have quite a few faders from Strand boards that I have canablized, If you send me a pix with absolute dimensions, I might have what you need at the cost of postage only. My email is [email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back