Conventional Fixtures replacement sockets/ceramics/porcelains for PAR 64's

BillR

We are looking for replacement sockets (EMEP I think) for PAR-64 cans. We have tried a number including the metal clad sockets distributed by Sylvania and have not found any to our liking. Either the contacts seem to lose their "grip" creating intermittant connections or the screws holding them together come loose or the actual ceramic cracks. We have 120 Thomas cans which are in good shape but it is time to replace the sockets. Thomas sells the metalclad sylvania units which do not seem to hold up well. Any advise would be appreciated.

Bill Robison

Okay, I'll admit to being completely puzzled on this one. Long before I started working at OSRAM Sylvania I was buying their PAR-1 sockets whenever I needed to replace the cheap ones that come with the PARcans (and fall apart after a short amount of time) and have only had tremendous personal experience with them.

Since I've had a completely different experience- and because it's my job to make sure our product is working as well as it can and is improved when it isn't--In what way do you find that they "not hold up well"? They are one of the only ones on the market that don't fall apart due to the cheap pop rivets coming apart in your hand after turning them a few times (due to the metal bracket around the ceramic). I'm wondering if with the Sylvania ones you've tried it is perhaps the contacts losing their grip over time? Just trying to understand what you are seeing so I can look to improve it if possible/necessary. My personal experience with this socket as an M.E. was that it was the best one out there-- and that was long before I had reason to be biased.

Okay, I'll admit to being completely puzzled on this one. Long before I started working at OSRAM Sylvania I was buying their PAR-1 sockets whenever I needed to replace the cheap ones that come with the PARcans (and fall apart after a short amount of time) and have only had tremendous personal experience with them.

Since I've had a completely different experience- and because it's my job to make sure our product is working as well as it can and is improved when it isn't--In what way do you find that they "not hold up well"? They are one of the only ones on the market that don't fall apart due to the cheap pop rivets coming apart in your hand after turning them a few times (due to the metal bracket around the ceramic). I'm wondering if with the Sylvania ones you've tried it is perhaps the contacts losing their grip over time? Just trying to understand what you are seeing so I can look to improve it if possible/necessary. My personal experience with this socket as an M.E. was that it was the best one out there-- and that was long before I had reason to be biased.

Thanks so much for your comment. While I am not one of our lighting guys here is what they tell me. The metal around the ceramic tends to get bent and makes connecting the socket to the lamp difficult. Also, the contacts tend to loosen up making the conection intermittant which can damage the pins on the lamp. Is it possible that there is a clone out there that is similar to the Sylvania socket? We used them about 4-5 years back and the problems cropped up shortly after they were installed. Let me see if any other comments show up on this forum on the subject and if not I will order some of the Sylvania sockets and give them another shot. Again, many thanks! Bill Robison

Thanks so much for your comment. While I am not one of our lighting guys here is what they tell me. The metal around the ceramic tends to get bent and makes connecting the socket to the lamp difficult. Also, the contacts tend to loosen up making the conection intermittant which can damage the pins on the lamp. Is it possible that there is a clone out there that is similar to the Sylvania socket? We used them about 4-5 years back and the problems cropped up shortly after they were installed. Let me see if any other comments show up on this forum on the subject and if not I will order some of the Sylvania sockets and give them another shot. Again, many thanks! Bill Robison

Must be a clone out there. I've used the PAR-1's and they are fantastic. The come with whip-length leads so there is no connection to be made except at the plug. So far, all have remained snug, and I have problems imagining how that metal gets bent as it is rather thick.

Must be a clone out there. I've used the PAR-1's and they are fantastic. The come with whip-length leads so there is no connection to be made except at the plug. So far, all have remained snug, and I have problems imagining how that metal gets bent as it is rather thick.

Either they were cheap clones, or someone was treating them very roughly. I've never had a problem with them, I have some that are several years old and never had any problems with them, they hold up a lot better than the ones without a metal surround.

I thank everyone for their comments. I am going to order a quantity of the Sylvania PAR-1 sockets and give them a shot. Bill Robison

Hi Bill, thanks for that feedback. I can't imagine the metal bracket getting bent unless a hammer was taken to it as it's really quite thick, but that's something I'll keep an eye out on. The contacts can loosen over time, so that's a completely valid critique. Short of an entirely new design incorporating backup springs like in the TP22H (Source Four) socket, I'm not sure how we'd make that too much better. It would raise the cost a bit though, so might not be worth it in the end. Definitely worth considering though, so I really appreciate the feedback. Our standard "off the shelf" version has the longest lead length (so it can be cut back to the desired tail length) of 48", and is available through most any place you can buy lamps.

Hmm... My links aren't playing nice with others apparently... so here is the website below as a starting point. Sorry about that...

http://www.sylvania.com/lampholders

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back