RJ45 Video Options

Kody

Im looking into some options for video input on stage sent through our AV data lines to the booth? It is just a RJ45 connector on both ends. So I need a video balun that sends (VGA, HDMI, etc.) over Ethernet and converts back out in the booth. I know there are tons of different options out there but I wanted to know if you guys have any experience with any of them.

Thanks!

Depends on the type of cable in the wall. If you unscrew the wall plate, can you read the part number on the cable? (Typically googling the part number will tell you if it's Cat5, 5e, skew-free, shielded, etc.)

The most common technology for this in the past 2-3 years has been, by far, HDbaseT for transmitting HDMI and VGA signals over shielded Cat5e cable. All reputable manufacturers advertising HDbaseT transmitters and receivers are buying their chips from Valens, however the build quality and support vary between companies. Crestron (DigitalMedia series), Extron (DTP series), and AMX (DXLink series) are the 3 largest and most reputable, however many others exist that are cheaper.

Older technology like baluns are going to be cheaper, however quality and support for HDCP are less likely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back