Vintage Lighting ROBOSCAN PRO 918

ANDYJAMES

Hello everyone I am NEW and inexperienced :oops: tho I am a qualified "sparks" :grin:
What would be the best way to control my roboscans
I was hoping for some kind of easy joystick or wheel so my roadie can easily randomly direct them?
I have them DMX linked in "opposite" so both would scan to center stage instantly on his command.
Can ANYONE advise?
I had a EUROLIGHT 1224 but it didn't work at all.:evil::mrgreen:
I have been told a "HOG" ?? :mrgreen: with a dongle , AMERICAN DJ DMX,
Nothing mega expensive I am a solo act touring show.

There's tons of lighting controllers. Some are standalone consoles, some are designed to be installed in a pc or mac, and run that way, with a dongle. Some software requires a specific dongle. No matter which way you go, you'll find supporters and detractors. If you're only running 2 fixtures, a Hog is probably going to be too big, but it will give you room to grow. A lot of room.

The first thing I'd do is figure out what you want the lights to do, what you expect in the future, and what your technical staff (if you have one) can do for you, both pre-show and during the show. Make a list. Given your lack of experience, I'd also consult with someone who is versed in lighting design and technology. Then I'd buy/rent something to fit your needs. At least rent to try it out.

Since you're the performer, do you use midi? If so, many controllers accept midi input and can run cues based on that input. That might be something for you to consider.

Hello
thanks for your reply ..
Yes I do use midi but not on stage.
I want to be able to use these "programmmed" to the specific venue and also used random?
ie ...the roadie can send the mirrors where he pleases ( they would be dmx linked and in opposite) like a kids toy radio controlled car

I was told a "hog" would be ok and only able to control them and nothing else as the HOG is not a desk but a DMX interface used with a downloaded prog that
I could add more to at a later date?
Can't believe so much hassle just to work a pair of machines like this !!
My other lighting is simple to work ...lol

A Hog can be either. There's HogPC, plus a few versions of their standalone products. I'm not sure, but the standalone probably came first. Wholehog® III - Controllers - Products - High End Systems But stop listening to whoever told you that Hog can only control 2 Roboscans. Either they weren't clear enough in explaining it to you, or they're just plain wrong. Either way, they aren't considering your lack of experience in this area. You really need to find someone who knows the kind of stuff you do, knows lighting, and can tailor your needs to getting you the right product. Otherwise, you'll spend a lot of money on stuff that doesn't work right.

Another thot is that board you have now MAY work, but it's not set up/programmed correctly. I don't know it well enough to say either way. But that's also something you should ask.

Given the age of the fixtures, make sure they're set to DMX mode instead of Martin, and that the DMX mode on the instrument and static gobo mode (scroll vs shake) matches what your profile on the console is expecting. Read your manuals, and verify both ends are speaking the same language.

Speaking from experience, a Road Hog (lowest end standalone Hog) has no issues driving 240 dimmers, 4 Martin Roboscan 218s (with DMX->Martin converter box), 2 Martin Roboscan 518s, 2 Martin Roboscan 918s, 3 ETC S4 Revolutions, and a pair of Diversitronics strobes at once.

Guys ( I presume)
Thanks for this advice and I am learning FAST the BLUEROOM FORUM were rude n nasty ..
Looks like I have some "fixing" and searching the net to fiind a good price ...this HOG seems and sounds effective!!
MANY MANY MANY THANKS !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back