rolling steel platforms and stairs

hamlett22

HI

I want to build rolling platforms and stairs of varying heights. I will put facia on these and install caster locks and brakes. All the units will come together.

Largest piece- 10'h x 12'l x 4'w. balcony platform: under is open and an arched doorway.
attached both sides of the balcony- 2 rolling step units- 7 step units @ 3' 6" wide, 8.5" rise per step. from 9'4" high down to 5' then 2 more step units that turn in at 45 degree angle from previous step units down to the floor.

Can you offer any advice on how to build such units out of steel? I am good at wood construction. But steel is new to me. I am thinking joints, angle braces, interlocking units, arches, balcony, steps, risers, stringers,

Can you offer samples of drawings of previous units that you could share?

Thanks
Chad

.....Have you ever welded?

I've built a lot of steel stair units....

proxy.php

proxy.php

But if you can't weld, your going to be SOL. There is really nothing different building stairs of out steel vs wood. You lay it out about the same. Only difference is you have to truss your stringers. If you have not built with steel doing stairs as your first project is just asking for issues.

I think steel is the way to go for what you're doing. Layout all the stringers flat on your bench and get them welded before you start working in 3 dimensions. But Footer's question stands, "have you ever welded?"

This is part of a modular stair and platform package we send out for cruise ships. They can all lock together in different configurations...
IMG_2427.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back