Safely naming a balcony on set

Hugtrain

For our upcoming production of Mamma Mia, I was envisioning a large 2 story flat with a balcony on the second level for actors to stand on. Could someone refer me to proper building instructions for this? Our school doesn't usually do grandiose sets and I want to be able to answer the questions I may get when pitching my ideas.

Even more challenging, our orchestra would likely be directly underneath this balcony (we have a level stage for some reason) and usually people falling into instruments doesn't bode well for any involved parties.

Concept photo for reference (upper left-hand corner.)
MM2.jpg

Could someone refer me to proper building instructions for this?
The missing term is cantliver. There are many different ways to build it, as many wrong as right. Since I don't know you, your experience, tools, materials, I must defline on the "how to" part.

There are a number of topics on ControlBooth for which the snap answer is "hire a professional X".

In this case, the X is "Carpenter" and probably "Stage Carpenter".

To give you an idea how big a job this is:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

[ Funny sidebar: my first YouTube History search was just for "wrong". Wow... ]

+1 on a pro
My key thought is that the execution of the plan is as critical as having a good plan. Your pro should guide and inspect every aspect of construction. A set of instructions is only half the job.

There are a number of topics on ControlBooth for which the snap answer is "hire a professional X".

In this case, the X is "Carpenter" and probably "Stage Carpenter".

To give you an idea how big a job this is:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

[ Funny sidebar: my first YouTube History search was just for "wrong". Wow... ]

The Play That Goes Wrong was a state thespian society entry in 2023, lots of fun. Our PAC has bats in the attic and one of them decided to take its 'star turn' during that performance. Perfect fit, it was!

Here's another question to consider: are you a student, or a paid staff/faculty member? If you're a student, tracking down this information is ridiculously outside the scope of your responsibility and will raise all kinds of red flags on the schools liability. If you're a student, may I ask why you've been tasked with this?

Yes, I am a student, but I was not "tasked" with this. I am just really interested in the set design. I'm conducting research on planning and design. I would be consulting with my director, multiple college professors, and our buildings and grounds director. I will also be conducting tests and making multiple revisions as necessary with these people.

Putting on my stupid hat.
universe Have you considered a couple of legs on the downstage edge of your platform? Yes you loose the cantilever look, and give the otchestra something to dodge, but it is MUCH easier construction and more realistic in terms of what you would find on the “Greek Island World” of stone and stucco which is the world of Mamma Mia

Putting on my stupid hat.
universe Have you considered a couple of legs on the downstage edge of your platform? Yes you loose the cantilever look, and give the otchestra something to dodge, but it is MUCH easier construction and more realistic in terms of what you would find on the “Greek Island World” of stone and stucco which is the world of Mamma Mia
Yes I've talked with the director and he doesn't mind supports on the downstage face. I forgot to update

Yes, I am a student, but I was not "tasked" with this. I am just really interested in the set design. I'm conducting research on planning and design. I would be consulting with my director, multiple college professors, and our buildings and grounds director. I will also be conducting tests and making multiple revisions as necessary with these people.
I don't have time right this moment but I'll go digging later. If you're interested go looking for some "structural engineering for Technical Theatre" don't bother with the stuff about how to build a theatre < most architects and PE's don't> look for the scenery stuff. Please understand I am NOT encouraging you, in no uncertain terms, to try this yourself, but if you are interested go read. You might no think it abut there are so many weird forces at work in a cantilever and you have to account for them all. Even if you built the ledge out of W12X30 beams sticking out the front of the flat it wouldn't account for the up forces on the US side of the flat, the torsion on the flat itself and the load on the flat itself.
I came up before the age of "You're a TD you need to take engineering" degrees. I learned everything seat of my pants and by working through construction jobs and with engineers who had taken those courses. This is no longer a, "Yeah, that should work." business. Was it Bill Sapsis who said, "If you walk onstage and think, 'It should work', it won't" That was regarding Rigging but it holds just as true for scenic construction.

I'm really glad you asked before barreling ahead and just doing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back