Set/Lighting design Books

carsonld

Does anyone know of some lighting design or set design books that they like that they would like to share?

Hey carson, some more ideas. I don't know what part of OK you are from, but if you find yourself in Norman or Stillwater, check out the bookstores to see what they are using as a text for the theatre dept. At OSU it used to be "Scene Design and Stage Lighting" by Parker et al. I just checked pricing and editions at Amazon, quite a sticker shock!
Amazon.com: scene design and stage lighting: Books
Also, check out your school library and the city library and look into interlibrary loans.
One series of books I am really fond of are the Create your own stage books. They are British but were also published in the US by Prentice-Hall. They were written in the 80's so somewhat dated, but then again most theatres are somewhat dated.
[URL='http://www.amazon.com/Create-Your-Own-Stage-Lighting/dp/0131891766/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1365502065&sr=1-6"]Create Your Own Stage Lighting: Tim Streader, John A. Williams: 9780131891760: Amazon.com: Books[/URL]
[URL='http://www.amazon.com/Create-Your-Own-Stage-Sets/dp/0823088553/ref=pd_sim_b_3"]Create Your Own Stage Sets: Terry Thomas: 9780823088553: Amazon.com: Books[/URL]

I have always been partial to the Parker Wolf Smith Block - Scene Design and Stage Lighting - alternative to Gillette. But maybe it's what you were introduced to and maybe which has the most recent updated edition - if that matters. The methodologies are pretty standard. It's just layout, graphics, and some minor variation in methods.

The Scenographic Imagination by Darwin Reid Payne

Payne delves into the philosophy behind the visual elements used on stage. ...aaaand you can get a used copy on Amazon for less than $10.

Thanks to lightz and BillC for the comments on the Pilbrow book, just got a copy of the 1971 edition, like it very much, will be getting the new edition soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back