Automated Fixtures Sharpy Wash 330- Observations

jglodeklights

Hey all. Just wanted to share some observations I've made about the Clay Paky Sharpy Wash 330 as I have 8 of them in a rig right now and will forget these things later, I'm sure.

- They are extremely bright. Typically I'm running them at between 11 and 30 percent in this odd musical theater songs/concert show.
- Due to the high color temperature of their lamp, mixing color to balance the conventional front and back light systems along with our Alpha Profile 700ST's has been a bit of work, but with some use of manually mixed palettes it has worked well.
- The biggest issue has been the behavior of the color mix wheels. Below 3-4% they start to step and stutter. Turning the CMY shortcut off and adjusting color time didn't do much to help. As a solution I've ended up adjusting the fixture profile so they cannot go below 6% (chosen to give some slop for manufacturing tolerances). Seems to be working out very well.
- overall color mix is a little inconsistent in the beam at full zoom where we have them most of the show. Using the light diffusion helps a lot, as does a zoom in.
- Pan and tilt are smooth and fast.

Overall pretty nice fixture, but in this size space, 250 seat thrust with an 18' grid, a fixture like the MAC250 wash might be a little bit easier to get the most out of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back