Wireless Shure ULX Wireless Question

Hi all, I have a quick question-

I'm working on Merry Wives of Windsor at my high school, and we recently bought new Shure ULX wireless mics and receivers. We have had no problem with them, but last night something came up. The rack was showing no signal on one microphone, which obviously meant no sound from his mic. The frequency set on the receiver is "GROUP 1 CHANNEL 3", but the mic pack read "GROUP E0 CHANNEL 00." When I went to switch back to group 1 on the pack, the only options were groups E0-F6, no groups 1-10 like all the others... Are you able to shed any light as to why this might have happened and how to fix it? I don't know how the actor could have changed it, the only buttons on the pack itself are power, mode, and set, all of which I played around with to try and fix it

Thanks!

I've had that problem and I'm not exactly sure what causes it. I perform the expert fix- press buttons until it goes away!

I would also like to know the answer.

By the way, we started locking out the power switch on the transmitter and now have a much lower rate of "not-on-when-actor-walks-on" problems.

Did you try and take the battery out and putting it back in, sort of a hard reset? What model and frequency set do you have? I may be an error that you have to send the transmitter back to Shure to repair.

If you look at the link below, it appears that one language has an EO label for channel settings in the JA frequency group. It may be a long shot, but perhaps there is a language setting that got swapped. However, I am unaware of any such setting.

~Dave

http://shure.com/stellent/groups/pu...ents/web_resource/us_pro_ulx_sup_ja_jb_jp.pdf

Your transmitter is in "Master List Mode", which is Shure's fancy way of letting you set the operating frequency to whatever you want it to be. To get back to Group/Channel mode, hold down 'set' for at least ten seconds (assuming you didn't lock the mic).

You should probably lock the transmitter frequency and gaff over the buttons when you hand them out though. To lock the frequency, hold down 'set' when you turn the transmitter on; it'll display "Fr L" on the screen to tell you that it was done right. Repeat to disable this.

It's all in the manual. :)

Mike

The other way to lock out your transmitter if it is already on is hold down set and then hold down the mode button this will you will see "Fr L" then repeat steps to unlock and on the screen you will see the "FR UL" indicating it is unlocked. It is not necessary to turn off the reciever to lock or un lock it. Mbenonis is correct about the master list set up all you have to do is hold do the set button for 10 to 15 seconds and it will return to your normal "Group Channel" display.

"The other way to lock out your transmitter if it is already on is hold down set and then hold down the mode button this will you will see "Fr L" then repeat steps to unlock and on the screen you will see the "FR UL" indicating it is unlocked"

on my transmitters...this is power lock not frequency lock

"Your transmitter is in "Master List Mode", which is Shure's fancy way of letting you set the operating frequency"

I was just wondering, when in the "Master list Mode" how do you navigate to select frequencies?

I was just wondering, when in the "Master list Mode" how do you navigate to select frequencies?

Each bandsplit comes with a manual addendum that lists the code for each frequency. Basically, though, I believe it goes E000-F###, and increments from the bottom of the band in 25 kHz increments. For example, the M1 band would start at E000 being 662.000 MHz, E001 = 662.025 MHz, and so forth all the way up to 698 MHz. Intuitive, huh? ;)

Your transmitter is in "Master List Mode", which is Shure's fancy way of letting you set the operating frequency to whatever you want it to be. To get back to Group/Channel mode, hold down 'set' for at least ten seconds (assuming you didn't lock the mic).

You should probably lock the transmitter frequency and gaff over the buttons when you hand them out though. To lock the frequency, hold down 'set' when you turn the transmitter on; it'll display "Fr L" on the screen to tell you that it was done right. Repeat to disable this.

It's all in the manual. :)

Mike

This is the easiest way to fix it. As for gaffing it I totally agree. I just wish they made the idiot sleeves for the bodypacks like they do for the handhelds! Or just did what they did for the UHF-R line and had the buttons under a cover...

Refer to page 15 of the manual. Frequency lock is applied or unapplied by holding the set button down as you turn the transmitter on. Power lock is applied by holding down set and pressing mode for 4 seconds...

This happened to me out of the blue during rehearsal just now. The presenter was talking into his lav and it just stopped working. It appeared to be turned off on the receiver, even though the mic was power locked on and the battery was new. I went up and looked at his belt pack on it said EO OO on the screen. Moral of the story is that it changed into that frequency all by itself. I have never seen anything like that happen before with a mic. Thank God it happened during rehearsal. Im not a fan of that glitch.

Hi all, I have a quick question-

I'm working on Merry Wives of Windsor at my high school, and we recently bought new Shure ULX wireless mics and receivers. We have had no problem with them, but last night something came up. The rack was showing no signal on one microphone, which obviously meant no sound from his mic. The frequency set on the receiver is "GROUP 1 CHANNEL 3", but the mic pack read "GROUP E0 CHANNEL 00." When I went to switch back to group 1 on the pack, the only options were groups E0-F6, no groups 1-10 like all the others... Are you able to shed any light as to why this might have happened and how to fix it? I don't know how the actor could have changed it, the only buttons on the pack itself are power, mode, and set, all of which I played around with to try and fix it

Thanks!

I hope you received your answer by now. Similar question:
I have a Shure ULX1-J1 transmitter to doesn't respond to any of the "commands" in the manual. When it is powered up with a new 9v battery, the red power light comes on and the screen lights up green, but there is no group or channel numbers or any other information at all! Any thoughts/help on this issue? I've seen several replies to similar situations suggesting contacting Shure. Has anyone followed up with Shure on this issue? If so, what was the "fix?"

Last edited by a moderator:
from what I recall, the ULX doesn't have a red light unless the battery is getting ready to die, or dead. A red light on power-up would seem to indicated a failure of internal system hardware. Have you for sure double checked your 9v batteries are good. It's a slim margin but not unheard of that a pack/box of 9volts could all be defective.

I hope you received your answer by now. Similar question:
I have a Shure ULX1-J1 transmitter to doesn't respond to any of the "commands" in the manual. When it is powered up with a new 9v battery, the red power light comes on and the screen lights up green, but there is no group or channel numbers or any other information at all! Any thoughts/help on this issue? I've seen several replies to similar situations suggesting contacting Shure. Has anyone followed up with Shure on this issue? If so, what was the "fix?"

The ULX series uses a 3 bar battery meter on the transmitter.

Shure has excellent customer/technical support, I would suggest you contact them directly. However, if the equipment does have a problem, you would have to send it in. I still suggest you contact them, their reps are great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back