Shure ULXD2 joystick programming switch problems

funkcity

I recently bought 8 Shure ULXD2/Beta87C digital handheld mic/transmitters and 2 of the ULXD4Q digital 4-channel receivers.
These are really slick and with the upgrade to the Beta 87C capsule (I needed a wider pattern than the 87A super cardioid)
they sound terrific!
However, within 2 weeks of owning them I have had 2 of the programming joystick (up-down-left-right)
switches that live underneath the cover go bad. The theater staff use them to "lock on" the mics
as frequencies are set by the technical engineer.
When broken the switch just flops around and is then unusable.

My question to Shure tech support:
"Have you found these 4 way joystick programming switches to be failure-prone?"

Shure's Support response:
<< We see some people having problem with that joystick. >>

WTF?? Lovely.....I think this switch is really not up to the quality of the rest of the system.
Even when its working correctly it does NOT have a positive-make feel to it.
Have you folks had any such experiences?

It happens. Shure probably got stuck with a defective batch of switches from their supplier. Chances are that a replacement from a different batch will resolve it. It's a pain, but any product, from aspirin tablets to cars, can go through this.

I had a similar experience with a $12,000 broadcast audio processor within minutes of un-boxing it. A joystick failure made it impossible to adjust it. A call to the company revealed that they had a whole bunch of them failing. They sent me a new switch, along with detailed instructions on how to make the repair in the field.

We're having the same problem at my church with the ULXD handhelds. Shure seems to be aware of the problem, but there does not seem to be a remedy other than repair. Looks like a crappy design to me. As soon as we started using the ULXD's I noticed that the edges of the rubber piece of the joystick can come out from under the edge of the plastic shroud. Ultimately, you just have to really baby that switch when locking the mic or adjusting settings. I'm reasonably disappointed because the rest of the ULXD design is pretty awesome.

Thanks guys.
Its really not a joystick but a 4 position spring-loaded return-to-center momentary switch.
As I said, just feels like crap even when its working right.
It probably needs a gate like some older H pattern transmission shifter gate to actually protect the switch.
It must be a custom switch as I've never seen this type of switch.

Last edited:
As my volunteer already posted. We recently have incurred the same issue with three of our eight new ULXD handhelds. Shure has been great to work with on replacement/repair. The first one they sent an advanced replacement for and we just switched it out. The second/third ones they paid for over night shipping to and from to get them turned around quickly.

Here is the word i got from Shure on the issue:
"we have noticed that some users are trying to “push” on the joystick to enter instead of moving the joystick to the right. We have seen instances where this repeated action has been a cause for repair and are trying to spread the word about not “pushing” on the joystick."

I agree that the switch is not up to the quality of the rest of the mic. Its the only part of the system i have been disappointed in. Hopefully they change that part of the design with something better soon. I will be ordering more in the next year.

Just an update....
Shure now has an improved "joystick" part. They upgraded all 8 of my microphones!
Hurray!

Awesome News! I will have to look into getting mine replaced. Actually have another one that i noticed last night has given out. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back