Skype and a live video feed

Hi all,

Sorry if this has already been answered somewhere else and I haven't found it!

I'll be heading over to a wedding in Scotland in late July, and have been assigned the (wonderful? :neutral:) task of attempting to get a live feed of the wedding back to Australia to the relatives who can't make it over.

I was thinking a simple Skype connection back (taking my Macbook Pro over with me), using a local internet connection or USB modem. How would I go about getting an external camera to feed into Skype? I was thinking of trying to arrange a simple handheld camera feeding via firewire/USB into my Mac.

How would anyone else go about this?

I'm open to any suggestions that are out there :)

Thanks!

You could also use a service like ustream, which would be more reliable than a Skype video call. As for connecting a camera: any camera with a FireWire or USB connection should work with your Mac, you'll just have to select it as the video input device in Skype/whatever's settings.

Getting decent Internet might be tough, I'd hedge my bets and buy a PAYG USB 3G modem once in Scotland just in case the location has dialup or something.

A USB camera should work just fine.
I would definitely put it on a tripod though, as the low resolution of most web cams is made worse by movement of the camera.

I don't think a 3G modem would be able to pull enough bandwidth to work. Personally, I'd get a 1000 foot long spool of CAT5 and knock on neighbors doors. (Ethernet signals only work reliably upto around 300 feet though)

With the time difference between Scottland and Australia, why not just record and then upload the video? You would get better quality than with a web-cam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back