Smoke Machine inheritance Model:4083 by SLD Lighting

Clarkwg3

My sister Theater has inherited 2 smoke machines without remotes. Contacting the previous owners turn up an "What are those?" I have contact SLD Lighting with a response of "that's so old I can't find a manual."

I've plugged the units in let them warmer up and discovered shorting pin 2 and 5 of the 5pin female jack turns the pump on. Got the units cleanout. Now I am tring to figure out what the other pins do.

Anyone have a similar model and a manual?
Anyone have an idea of how to safetly test the functions, there is a circuit board involved? I wouldn't be so worried if it were mechanically controlled.

Maker: SLD Lighting
Model: 4083
120v/1300watt/12A

The upper jack is labeled: "Output to next unit"
The lower jack is labeled: "For remote controller models"
SmokerA.jpg

The wonderful ciruit board I don't want to fry:) I figured the circuit boards would stay less changed as time went by.
SmokerB.jpg

Good Morning

Try posting this on the LightNetwork.com
There are some members that go way back & may know something.

Good Luck

I used to be a roadie. then I took an arrow to the knee

You say when you sorted out pins 2 and 5 which caused the pump to turn of did it blow fog?

I ask because it may just be that they used a 5 pin jack to get to the controller for what ever reason and did not connect the other wires or they have no use. The reason I might think that they only used the two pins is because of the three pin XLR going to "the next unit", so they technically only need a minum of three pins to control this model of fogger. But at the same time I am not sure where this three pin XLR would plug into on "the next unit".

Odd layout...

Can you produce better pictures? I'd like to see clean pictures of the entire circuit board to be able to read labels and see traces. I'd like pictures of all writing on the units plates.

With such poor pictures and limited likely incorrect info about the unit (SLD appears to be a dealer NOT a manufacture).

Several MFG's use a five pin XLR for fog machine remotes. These remotes normally offer On/Off, Pump Start and Interval/Duration. I do not know if pin assignments are consistant however.

This unit uses the 5 pin XLR

proxy.php

Will work on better pics, my only camera is on my phone.

have talked with SLD Lighting repair technician. He remembers the units, but tossed any manuals and notes back in 2002ish. He does remember the remote have a manual 'fire' momentary contact button, power indicator, ready indicator, volume pot, interval pot, and timer activate switch. After discussing the info with the electronics instructor and Tech Ed electronics repair; we've concluded, I found the manual 'fire' yet to find are the two indicators, and volume pin. after adding the XLR3F into the equation we decided the identical wires would have the same functions of 'fire', volume, and common. Which leaves pins 4 and 5 of the to be power indicator and ready indicator/positive for volume, and 'fire'.

As for interconnecting to a second unit; my current guess is a purpose built cable to change from 3pin into 5 pin and move the pin out to the correct pins. Like a DMX 3pin-to-5pin adapter looking thing.

On/Off, Pump Start and Interval/Duration. I do not know if pin assignments are consistant however.

This unit uses the 5 pin XLR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back