SN 110 Nodes

Well at my theater we found a couple boxes with Strand SN110 Nodes. I would like to know what they are used for and how to set them up. Thanks much appreciated. :)

Well at my theater we found a couple boxes with Strand SN110 Nodes. I would like to know what they are used for and how to set them up. Thanks much appreciated. :)

Are you currently running a Strand control system (300/500 series desk or Palette)? Do you know if you are running any of your data distribution via network as opposed to hardwire DMX?

Assuming you are using a Strand console and your console has the networker software on it and running, you should be able to connect the nodes with standard networking hardware (Cat5/6 cable and switches) and use them to output DMX. You may have to tweak some of the output settings on the console and possibly the configuration files on the nodes, but you may be able to just plug them all in and have it work.

On the other hand, if you are interested, I might be able to make an offer to take them off your hands.

yeah i have a strand 520i board. i dont know if i would be able to sell them to you lol id have to ask my teacher/director. We tried to plug them in and they wouldnt turn on?

Well first you need to understand what you have.

An SN110 node is a simple ethernet node that converts DMX to ethernet. Basically if you need to get DMX devices like dimmers, scrollers, movers onto a ShowNet network, then the nodes are the ticket.

If they do not have an AC plug then you have the newer version that are POE (Power Over Ethernet). These would get their power and data thru the network cable and require power over the ethernet cable. This can be accomplished a couple of different ways. If you have an existing network system, then you may find that there is an equipment rack and an existing "powered" switch, if so, you can just plug the nodes in and thru that and get them online. If not, then you could get single port POE injectors. (google to find them...about $30 a piece). One per node.

Here is a link to the manual.

http://www.strandlighting.com/clientuploads/directory/downloads/sn110.pdf

I have a set of them. Derek and Bobby are both correct. Typically you use them to convert the Strand Ethernet protocol (called "ShowNet") into standard DMX protocol. This is done in order to send control signals to things like Gobo rotators, scrollers, or movers. However, they can be configured to work in the opposite direction in order to allow you to add a Non-Strand console to a Strand ShowNet network. You can also have one jack be DMX out and the other to be DMX in.

As has been pointed out, my guess is your problem is the lack of a PoE injector. Strand tech support recommended to me to buy the cheapest basic PoE injector I could find. I purchased some basic 3 Com units for about $30. They said that the fancier more expensive models sometimes do more than just add the power to the line, which can cause problems in this application.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back