SOP for handling inappropriate content in educational settings.

It doesn't get checked by the FBI? In Ohio and Rhode Island whether it was the police or a state office they've taken my prints but then just forward it on and have the Feds do the actual check on the prints. I'm really surprised there isn't some set official standard way of doing it. I get it for private companies and such but for public institutions and state agencies and such it makes sense to have it all standardized, but hey I what do I know? Not much.

Via tapatalk

I think every event and location is different. After the fact, write up a report, speak with administration, and ask how they would like you to proceed in the future. Any policy needs to be backed by admin anyway. I would say at a minimum to find some way to have an event sponsor present who is responsible for everything that takes place.

Going out onstage in front of a high school audience to stop an inappropriate act may have further consequences with student behavior. Without being in the moment, it's hard to say what I would do. We screen acts, and they all know our policy, but sometimes students do pull stunts. On a few occasions we've just killed the vocals. Once I killed all of the sound, and made a polite announcement through the monitors only to get off my stage. Another time a co-worker popped on the talkback mic and apologized when everything ended, saying the band's foul language must have caused a temporary overload - he got some laughs, and the band was so embarrassed they didn't fight it. All of these worked with the audience.

I've seen administrators and teachers walk out onstage and lecture performances, or make a big scene. The crowd gets more unruly, and the problems just get worse. You can write endless referrals, but that doesn't always solve the problem. I have an advantage that I am a teacher and usually the sponsor, so my performers already know how quietly and efficiently I will solve problems after the show.

If it was someone else's show at the venue, or my techs were working without me, I likely wouldn't interfere unless there was a danger of breaking the law (nudity, maybe?) or damage. I'd still file a report afterwards, and my techs report to me knowing I'll pass information on.

The important thing in all this discussion is the process leading up to the event. You need a strong person in charge who will not be bullied by students. You need an audition process. Students need to be reminded during that process that they are participating in a school event and there will be consequences if they break rules of appropriate behavior just like if they were in a classroom. It's all about planning and having clear boundaries and consequences established ahead of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back