Conventional Fixtures Source 4 Series 2 LED with "old" barrels

sdauditorium

We'll be potentially switching over our Source 4 inventory to the Lustr Series 2 version, and I had a quick question. I know that you can interchange "regular" Source 4 barrels with the LED counterparts, but I was curious as to how much of a difference in terms of output/gobo focus is realized to the naked eye. Yes, getting bodies only would be a cost savings that could be directed elsewhere, but we wouldn't want to sacrifice noticeable results if there is a sizeable difference in barrel comparsions.

Thanks!

If memory serves, only the 50deg and maybe 70deg? tubes have LED specific versions, but everything else should work just fine. Whilst in uni we would throw just about all of the lens tubes (aside from the 50deg) from the incandescents into the Studio HDs that we had and I didn't really notice anything wonky from using those.

If you can, ask your dealer for a demo unit and then you can play with it in your space and then you won't have to take my word for it!

I seem to recall a dealer saying that if it was his money, he would do the new tubes for only gobos. The optical gains in the new tubes would be best shown off there as opposed to an intensity bump. I would imagine that if you already have the tubes, your money might be better spend on an extra body or two.

Hello,
The EDLT lens tubes have the same effect on LED fixtures as they do on traditional tungsten fixtures. They provide higher quality, crisper optics as well as higher efficiency (meaning better output). If you are not doing sharp pattern projection, it really just comes down to the output. The amount can vary but it is as much as 15% more output than a standard lens. The reason these are recommended for LED fixtures is that you are paying a lot more for the lumens so usually it is worth the extra expense when buying new. If you already have lenses, and it is a question of having to buy all new lenses to get this gain, it may not be worth it. That is a question only you can answer. :) And remember, there are only EDLT versions of the 19, 26, 36 and 50 degree lens tubes.

There is an LED specific lens tube that was referred to above. There is a 50 degree EDLT for LED fixtures specifically. It cleans up some optical distortions around the edge of the beam that only show up in the LED fixtures.

I hope this helps

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back