Conventional Fixtures Source four Problem

Nexus

I am having trouble with a source four affecting all the other light that are up at the time. When it is faded up it flickers and so dose everything else. I have changed circuits…same result. Changed the dimmer soft patch…same result. Changed the lamp…same result. I have even checked the plug and wiring which are all fine. Basically I have tried changing every possible variable and as soon as this one source four is introduced back into the equation everything wigs out again. The fixture its self is still in very good condition as is practically new. Any ideas?

Maybe a short list of your console, dimmers, etc would allow us to troubleshoot this animal for you-

Whatcha got?

Another thing to check would be the socket where the lamp goes in the S4. If it is corroded it could be causing the problem for the individual instrument, but I am not sure how this propagates to all the other lights in the rig?

I second checking your lamp's socket for corrosion and a black, charred pin.

Also, how heavily are you loading that circuit?

Are you sure all the other lamps flicker and it is not just the effect of the one lamp. If every fixture or multiple instruments on the same dimmer rack are flickering then you have a significant current being drawn for a very short time.

As you have isolated the trigger for the flicker and confirmed it follows the fixture as you move from dimmer to dimmer you now need to confirm the problem is the burner assembly by swapping it to another S4 housing assembly. If the fault follows the burner then you should open the plugtop and check the connections inside and make sure they are tight and show no signs of heat damage. If this checks okay swap in a new lampholder which is a couple of minutes work and costs less than $20. You should also check the old lamp holder/whip to see if there is any damage to the insulation. If so look for any signs that this could have been caused by a sharp edge or a wire bing pinched, especially under the stress relief on the back of the burner. just because a lampholder doesn't look damaged doesn't mean it is not internally damaged and you can't see it.

If the fault does not follow the burner then you are looking for something entirely different because you probably have two faults present that together produce the flicker but if only one is present you do not see anything. This is more of a challange but workable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back