special revolving stage

Hi. I want to build a big revolving stage that will be turned manually by a person standing on it. My idea is a round table in the middle of the stage that will be turned to make the whole thing rotate.
Is it doable?
Another thing is that i need this stage to hold alot of weight (plasterboard walls, 6 people, heavy furniture etc.) Think of it as a revolving room.
Finally I need it to "lock" into a certain positions. To move it again you will need to pull, move or push something on the stage.
Thanks in advance, sorry for my bad english, I am not a native speaker

Total weight - related to size you don't mention - is likely to make one person operation with usual poly casters unlikely. Steel wheels on steel rails is probably doable, but inertia will still be sugnificant. Air casters is probably the one sure way, but not without noise. Consider motorizing and acting so it looks like the actor is doing it.

It also sounds like you want the actor near the center when operating this which would make the force needed to provide sufficient torque greater. If you can't motorize, you could design so that techs can provide the power from an unseen position at the edge.

If by round table you mean something like the spinning teacups ride at disney world (where the riders spin the cup they're sitting in by pulling against a fixed "table" in the center of the cup), one person isn't going to be able to produce enough force, however I could see a big capstan working, with the line running from around the capstan under the revolve, wrapping around the perimeter of the revolve and pulling it that way, you're revolve would need to be a donut with the capstan fixed to the floor in the middle. But of course then you'd have to figure out how to explain to the director why the show is now on a sailing ship and the whole thing would move at a snail's pace (or slower). not sure what the desired effect is...

Hi. I want to build a big revolving stage that will be turned manually by a person standing on it. My idea is a round table in the middle of the stage that will be turned to make the whole thing rotate.
Is it doable?
Another thing is that i need this stage to hold alot of weight (plasterboard walls, 6 people, heavy furniture etc.) Think of it as a revolving room.
Finally I need it to "lock" into a certain positions. To move it again you will need to pull, move or push something on the stage.
Thanks in advance, sorry for my bad english, I am not a native speaker
Van has a lot of posts with great info. Search CB

We have a revolving stage for our Les Mis and Into the Woods sets. It is operated by a motor. It has to be screwed into the stage, so it's very important to get the permission from a theater before you just show up and start making holes... Regardless, if you message me, I might be able to put you in contact with the tech guy who built it or at least be the go between. We are in the midst of two shows at the moment and getting ready to audition a 3rd. Just in case I don't reply quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back